CHAPTER 15

June 15, 2009

Dear Papa,

I’m a high school sophomore now Papa. I felt that I grew up so fast yet you didn’t seem to notice. I wouldn’t know if you did because you never really said anything. I could say I’m a young woman now. I have boobs already, then again, maybe this is an awkward thing to share to you Papa. I wanted to tell you something Papa. It really bothered me. I’m experiencing nausea lately…and sometimes I have difficulty in breathing. I first noticed this when I was doing my laps in the pool. After swimming 1 kilometre, I found myself gasping for air. My vision became blurry…almost bloody. Coach Max called for a medic to treat me immediately. I could see specks of blood clouding my vision and nothing else. I could hear muffled voices of people. I knew I was going to faint. The last words I muttered was “Don’t tell my father”.

I woke up and found myself lying on an hospital bed. Alex was asleep while he held my hand. He is such a good friend Papa, throughout the years. I removed his hand on mine and he woke up. He smiled at me and told me “You snored a lot. I’m so happy you’re safe Lizzie”. I smiled at him.

Alex looked like a young man now Papa. He’s taller now and he also wears glasses. Alex told me that I need to go back if ever I experienced this again. Doctor’s orders. He walked me home Papa and you arrived 5 minutes later.

We ate dinner together Papa and then I said “Papa, I want to quit the swimming team”. You were silent. I felt every muscle in my body began to tremble. I continued “I can’t balance my studies and my swimming training, Papa. I hope you understand”. You banged your fist on the table and snarled at me “Why do you always have to be selfish? You never respect my decisions for you. I bet you like the feeling of always disappointing me!”. You stormed out of the dining area. I heard the roar of your pick-up’s engine. I bet you would go to the usual bar where you would drink with your friends…or perhaps you would be alone tonight like I am as I write this letter.

You were right Papa. I’m just a disappointment to you. All I did was nothing but a disappointment in your eyes. Now I’m suffering from an illness…you must be very…disappointed