CHAPTER 29

AJ

November 30, 2010

Lizzie’s hand was soft but at the same time calloused under hers. She hadn’t slept a wink ever since she got to the hospital. Alex Stewart was sleeping soundly by the other side of Lizzie’s bed. He was awake for most of the time until his eyelids slowly dropped and he dozed off with his head inches away from Lizzie’s hand.

She and Alex decided to skip school today to watch over Lizzie. Thankfully, their parents agreed and promised not to tell Lizzie’s father. AJ shook her head furiously to avoid sleeping. It didn’t work. She took her camera from her bag and took pictures of everything. Lizzie and Alex sleeping, the paper cups that used to have coffee in them before she and Alex drained every last drop, vase of flowers on the side table, just about anything. Taking pictures relaxed her and helped her regain a bit of energy. She pointed the lens at Lizzie and slowly focused to a close-up to the sleeping girl’s face. To AJ’s surprise, Lizzie’s mouth parted slightly and words came out.

“I didn’t expect a photoshoot, Maple”.

Her voice was hoarse and almost inaudible, yet wonderful to hear again.

“I was bored” AJ said quietly, fighting the tears in her eyes.

“What time is it?”.

“10 in the morning”.

“Shouldn’t you be at school?”. AJ squared her shoulders. Lizzie smiled faintly.

“Where’s Alex?”. The blonde boy sat bolt upright.

“Right here” he said alertly. The two girls laughed.

“You’re a goof, Stewart” Lizzie punched him playfully.

AJ pursed her lips. She knew both of them for a long time. She and Alex were lab partners, and it was through him that she met Lizzie. She found Alex Stewart as a one of a kind guy: he never makes dirty jokes, he treats her kindly and gently, he’s really smart and-she hates to admit-handsome. He’s one fine man. She knew that he loved Lizzie…but he didn’t know she loved her too. Seeing them together made her feel queasy. To make things short, she was jealous.

The doctor, as if on cue, entered the room and greeted each of them.

“Glad to see you awake, Elizabeth”.

Doctor Barnes’ the youngest doctor in the hospital but one of the most skilled ones. His long blonde hair was tied in a loose ponytail and though his face looked tired, he kept a smile nevertheless.

“Hey, Doc” Lizzie smiled.

Doctor Barnes clasped his hands tightly before he spoke.

“Elizabeth, you’re experiencing hemophilia. Hemophilia is a disorder that cause exaggerated bleeding and poor blood clotting. You have a severe case of it. When you have nosebleeds, you lose more blood than a typical person. Your bleeding even reaches your eyes, right? You lost a lot of blood, Elizabeth”.

AJ looked at her immediately. Lizzie looked so pale…almost translucent.

“Am I going to die soon, Doc?” Lizzie blurted out.

Alex and AJ stared at her like she had carrots in her ears. Alex’s mouth and eyes were round and wide. AJ was sure she must’ve looked like that.

“Unfortunately, yes. Perhaps just one more year…” Doctor Barnes looked down then continued.

“That is, when you’re nosebleeds occur as often as they are now”.

Lizzie will die soon, she thought.

She winced at the thought of it. Her best friend…her lover…will die soon. She studied Alex’s face. Pain was all over his face, he could break into tears any minute now. She looked at Lizzie. The black-haired girl looked rather calm and serene.

“Can I still give birth?”.

AJ’s mouth dropped. What on earth was that girl thinking?