CHAPTER 12

March 3, 2004

Papa,

Today was my first piano lesson. I’m not really excited. It’s a good thing my teacher was very nice. She looked a bit like a frog to me Papa. She taught me the basics. I really tried my best Papa! I hope you will fetch me after.

I started playing my first song. Mary had a little lamb. I’m so proud of myself. My teacher said so too. She said I’m a fast learner. My fingers hurt a little. The keys are so far, it’s hard to reach it. I just need to practice Papa.

My piano lesson ended at 4 in the afternoon. I think you’re busy again Papa. I’ll just walk home. I walked alone along the streets of our neighbourhood. My piano teacher’s house was just 2 blocks away from our house. I saw Alex walking too. I called out to him and we walked together. He asked me where I was and I told him that I was learning to play the piano. He laughed at me and said that I’m not really interested in musical instruments. Alex was right Papa. But it’s ok! I’m doing this for you.

I waved goodbye to Alex when I arrived at our house. You were mad at me Papa. I didn’t text you that I walked home. My battery’s dead Papa, I couldn’t text you. You scolded me and said hurtful words. I wanted to cry but I’m ashamed to cry in front of you. I’m really sorry Papa. Please forgive me.

You told me I was stupid and that I didn’t have common sense. I cried and cried and cried in my room. My pillow was so wet I had to sleep without them. Sorry for being stupid Papa.