CHAPTER 42

The pond looked so old and so bare. I was fully aware that Alex was standing 5 feet away from me but I didn’t mind. I liked his moral support. I inhaled and exhaled slowly then spoke from the heart.

“My name is Joseph Meyer and I’m Elizabeth Fern’s father. She was the perfect daughter…but I never told her that. She was the most beautiful young girl…but I never told her she was. I love her and care for her so much…but I never made her feel that. Lizzie, I’m sorry for the times I beat you up and left you alone. I’m sorry I don’t talk to you that much, I’m just really not expressive. I’m sorry for forcing you to become an economist like me, you never wanted to be one. I’m sorry I didn’t make you feel that I trust you, deep down I do. I’m proud to have you as a daughter, Lizzie. And I’m proud that you call me your ‘Papa’. I’m so proud of you, Lizzie. I hate myself for telling you this now. I hate myself that you have to suffer so much just for me to tell you these words. I’m proud to have you as a daughter, Lizzie. And I’m proud that you call me your ‘Papa’. I love you my Elizabeth Fern”.

I felt Alex’s hand on my shoulder. Without saying a word, he gave me the last letter Lizzie wrote.