CHPATER 13

“I can’t believe you called her stupid” said Alex.

I didn’t respond. I was filled with regret. If only I could take back everything I said.

“How old were you when you had feelings for Elizabeth?” I asked, changing the topic to avoid another guilt trip.

He blushed a little then scratched his head.

“I knew I was in love with her the first time I saw her. We were 6 that time”.

I took out another letter from the box.

“She still is the girl I promised to love and treasure forever Mr. Meyer”.

I nodded curtly at him then read the next letter.

May 10, 2004

Dear Papa,

It had been weeks. I’m getting tired of piano lessons. I don’t like it Papa. I really don’t. I want to quit.

I told my piano teacher about it and she said it was fine. She said that she will miss me. I hugged her and she hugged back. I texted you that I will walk home with Alex. I was really quiet while Alex and I were walking.

Alex noticed how sad I looked. He asked me if he could cheer me up. I told him it was okay. He took out a piece of Hershey’s kisses and handed it to me. I giggled after I opened it. It was melted. “You can still eat it” he said pouting. I laughed and ate the chocolate anyway.

After Alex left, I waited for you Papa. You came home early. Yay! I asked you at dinner if I could quit my piano lessons. You said it was okay Papa, but you looked disappointed. It hurt me to see that look on your face Papa. I wanted to cry. I disappointed you again.