CHAPTER 27

AJ

She wanted to do a palm in the face at that moment. What was she thinking? Lizzie’s mouth was quivering.

“Lizzie…”

“I’m not a lesbian”. She said it with conviction, no doubt.

Then she lowered her gaze. AJ didn’t know what to feel. Should she feel defeated? Sad? Disappointed? Lizzie lifted her head slowly then mumbled

“But…I’m attracted to girls too”.

AJ fought the urge to shout I’m attracted to you!.

She wanted to hug her, but she wasn’t sure if it’s appropriate. She took her camera and took a picture of Elizabeth Fern.

“What was that about?” Lizzie asked, quite confused.

She showed her the  picture in her camera. It was a profile shot in black and white.

“Look at you there. You’re teary-eyed and so…vulnerable”. Lizzie sniffed.

“What’s that supposed to mean? That I’m weak? That I’m a failure? Yeah I’ve heard that a lot, AJ”.

She shook her head and said “You look so fragile here, so full of emotion. I rarely see that in you. You always put up a tough exterior…but now I see a crack, and I see a stronger person”.

She wiped the tears on her friend’s face. Lizzie sobbed softly.

“Why did you take that picture?” she asked in between sobs. AJ smiled.

“This is a moment worth documenting. This is exactly why I love photography”.

She sighed then continued

“Pictures are not always what they seem to be. There’s another picture within it. In one picture, there’s a lot going on. This picture I took of you, it’s a beautiful picture of a sad girl”.

Then she looked at her and smiled softly.

“But it is also a picture of strength behind your eyes. Behind your tears lies a glint of courage…and it’s beautiful”.

Lizzie blushed and she felt herself do the same.

“AJ, I-“ her words trailed off when AJ placed her hand on hers. She gave it a light squeeze.

“I love you, Elizabeth Fern Meyer. I know it’s surreal but I just do. You complete me”.

Lizzie was stunned into silence. AJ bit her lip.

“I’m not a lesbian too but I really feel something special for you”.

“That sounds like a poem” Lizzie giggled and she laughed too.

“I love you too, Alexandra Jane. You’re more than beautiful in my eyes…you define beauty itself. And you make me feel beautiful too”.

All it took was a moment. AJ slowly tilted her head to the side and leaned closer to her. She prayed she wouldn’t move. At least she could kiss her, even if she doesn’t kissed back. It was a kiss under the starry night. It could have been like any other kiss under a starry night in the movies. But it was more than that. It was special…because it was shared by two girls in love.