CHAPTER 35

I looked over at AJ. Her eyes were screwed shut. I could tell she didn’t want to recall about their fight…and what happened between Alex and Lizzie.

Alex pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose. I noticed that his cheeks were pink.

“Lizzie said that she was doing this for me…what did she mean by that?”.

None of them answered.

I sighed then looked at the sky above. It was near sunset and the sky was filled with vivid fruity colors. My mind drifted back to that one night. The night of March 31,2011.

I took Lizzie out to dinner in a fancy restaurant me and Heather used to eat. We were both dressed up for dinner. She looked beautiful in her blue and white striped dress. I remembered Heather at once.

“You’re a brunette version of your mother, you know” I said.

She smiled and nodded. She was always quiet and we don't talk very much. We ordered a steak and two pasta dishes. I was glad to spend time with her tonight. She talked to me about stuff in school and she also asked about my day in the office. She talks so maturely now. My little Lizzie’s growing up. She will turn 16 in September.I sighed at the thought. I wish Heather was here. I don’t think I can raise a teenager by myself.

“Papa?” she said.

I swallowed the piece of steak I was chewing then said “Yes, Elizabeth?”.She sucked in a breath.

“Dad…promise me that you will not make a scene here”.

My brow furrowed.

“What’s this about, Lizzie?”.

“Promise first, Papa. Please”. I raised my hands in defeat.

“Okay. I promise”.

“I’m pregnant”.

I felt like someone kicked me in the stomach. I struggled not to shout at her.

“Who’s the father?” I asked through gritted teeth.

“It’s Alex”.

Every inch of me wanted to grab her by the shoulders and scold her. What has my daughter done? Is this a sign of rebellion? I shifted in my seat.

“Papa…please don’t walk away from me this time.”. I didn’t.

“Elizabeth Fern, you are grounded for as long as you live” I struggled to keep my voice calm.

“You will also stop going to school when you are 6 months pregnant”.

“That means I wouldn’t go to school at all, Papa. I would be 6 months by June”.

“Then don’t go to school then. Just stay in the house”. She sighed but agreed.

What happened next was pure silence. We ate in silence, we drove home in silence and we went to sleep in silence.