CHAPTER 22

I punched the wall angrily. I managed to create a crack and bleeding knuckles. I didn’t even wince.

“Lizzie called me that night, Mr. Meyer” the boy continued. “I rushed her to the hospital. AJ met up with me there. It was horrible. They kept her in the ER for hours”.

I screwed my eyes shut as I visualized the events.

“I was able to see Lizzie again after 4 hours. It was already 3 in the morning. The doctor wanted to talk to me and AJ but AJ refused. She said that she wanted Lizzie to hear the news with us. Lizzie woke up a few minutes later”.

“What did the doctor say?” I asked anxiously. I held on to every word Alex Stewart said.

He sucked in a breath and said “The doctor said it’s bad news and Lizzie was like, ‘Can I hear it tomorrow? I want to rest’. The doctor said it’s fine but she has to talk to all of us after”.

“Alex, you’re killing me” I said gritting my teeth. “What.is.Lizzie.suffering.from?” .

Alex looked defeated and exhaled as he replied. “Lizzie has hemophilia”.

“That’s what, exactly?”.

“It’s a bleeding disorder. Girls rarely suffer from it unless she inherited it from a carrier. Hemophilia is a disorder that cause exaggerated bleeding and poor blood clotting. Those were the doctor’s words, Mr. Meyer”.

I knew I went pale. My whole body shuddered and I was sweating. My daughter had a bleeding disorder and I was totally unaware of it.

“But I never saw her bled”. Even my voice shook.

Alex shook his head. “She often had nosebleeds…sometimes blood goes to her eyes” then the boy looked at me and I couldn’t read his brown eyes.

“I was with her every time. AJ too. And after every a visit from the doctor, Lizzie would say ‘Don’t tell Papa’”.