CHAPTER 1

I drove my ragged pick-up to our old town house. I can still hear her voice in my head, her last words. "Please tell me you’re proud of me Papa".She drifted into eternal slumber right after I said those words.

I banged my palm on the steering wheel furiously. Why did she have to die so soon? I can’t believe I lived longer than her.I parked my pick-up in our garage. Things feel different now. Going home with no one to greet me.

Dragging my feet to the front porch, I sat on the steps and gazed at our front yard. This is where I taught little Lizzie how to ride a bike. I pursed my lips as I remembered that moment. More memories flooded my mind and it hurts to remember each one. I wish my wife was here. ..but she traded her life for a pair of angel wings 8 years ago. Breast cancer.

I slowly got up and unlocked the front door. I walked into the simple house my wife designed and built. She was an architect. I sat on the old sofa in our living room and stared at the ceiling. Maybe if I stay quiet, I can hear her Lizzie’s voice again. She will come here and give me a kiss on the cheek like she always did. I heard our door creak open. I forgot to lock it!

I groped around for my gun in the drawer of the side table. Just because I’m an economist doesn’t mean I can’t handle a gun. I positioned myself and slowly moved closer to the door. I stopped dead on my tracks. I couldn’t believe that this person is standing before me.