CHAPTER 39

My daughter was rushed to the OR at exactly 8:02 pm. I wasn’t allowed to enter so I waited outside with Alex and AJ.  

My heart pounded against my rib cage furiously. I prayed every prayer I knew.

Please let my little Lizzie through this. Let my grandchild live.

Minutes ticked to hours and I still felt unsettled. I leaned back against the wooden bench and breathed heavily. I looked over to the other side, where Alex and AJ were sitting. Alex tried his best to look calm but I knew deep inside he was dying. AJ stared blankly at the floor. Her eyes filled with pain and sorrow.

The doctor came out at around 11:30 pm. He wore green scrubs specked with blood. His gloves were soaked in blood too. That got me worried.

“How is she?”.

The doctor looked down hesitantly. Before I could stop myself, I grabbed him by the shoulders and shook him hard.

“Tell me!” I yelled.

“It’s a healthy girl”.

I released my grip and sighed a sigh of relief.

“Where’s Lizzie?” I asked.

The doctor didn’t answer at first then said, “I’ll take you to her room. She’s not doing fine Mr. Meyer”.

“What do you mean she’s not doing fine?!”. I was getting impatient.

“During her operation…she lost a lot of blood”.

He paused for a moment, as if trying to find the right words to say.

“You’re daughter…has only a few minutes left in her life”.