Chapter 22

Chapter Twenty-Two

“Steve, get us another drink again will you,” I shouted over the loud music of the club.

“Your going for it a bit tonight aren’t you?” He laughed, as he got up from his seat.

“I need to!” I shouted as he made his way towards the bar.  It had been  a week since  I met Kimberley at the hospital, one week since I got my heart well and truly broken, realising that it was almost defiantly over if Kimberley couldn’t handle what was my life now. I thought the best way to get over this was to drink as quickly as I could, to heal the pain temporarily.

So that’s how I found myself at this well known club in town with Steve and a few others, knocking back the drinks at a pretty alarming rate, but I didn’t care anymore, I had no one to worry about and no one was going to be worrying about me anymore.

“Here you go, get that down you!” Steve smiled handing me a colourful looking cocktail, it didn’t take me long to finish it off. “Good job I bought reserves,” he laughed again, pointing to a tray of drinks.  “I guess you deserve it, with the album contract being drawn up right at this moment, I should have a copy of it for you within the next couple of days,”

I smiled weakly, why wasn’t I more excited about this amazing opportunity? “Well I can’t wait to see it,” I said as enthusiastically as I could before taking another sip of a drink.

Noticing my lack of response, he changed the subject quickly, “You will never guess who I saw a glimpse of at the bar,” he shouted with a glint in his eye.

“Who?” I quizzed, feeling dizzier by the second.

“That Kimberley, your ex,” he said casually.

I gulped hard, having worked very hard to persuade Steve I was very much over her, “Oh,”

“But that’s okay right? Because you’re over her?”

“Yeah of course,” I shouted, trying to scan the crowd of people, desperately trying to find her, who was she with? What was she wearing? I wonder how her hair was ?  If I wasn’t still in love with her, those questions would be quite alarming.

Steve watched me for a time, “you still like her don’t you?”

“No,” I lied, “she made it clear it’s over, so I’m cool with that, I’m moving on,” I bluffed again, picking up yet another cocktail.

“Right,” he smirked. “Let’s go dance,”

Grateful for the change of subject I obliged, following Steve into the middle of the dance floor, trying to stifle my giggles at his true fully awful dancing, no rhythm and defiantly no style.  I danced with as much enthusiasm I could muster, until he put his big hands on my hips, making me grind against him, I was drunk, but not drunk enough to think I wanted Steve. I was made sure of this when I turned my head and spotted Kimberley dancing her heart away with a girl that I recognised from her production, a huge lump formed in my throat almost immediately and I shouted to Steve that I was going to sit down.

Throwing myself down into the booth once more, I scanned the crowd again, this time immediately picking out Kimberley. She was still dancing away to the song, swaying her hips in rhythm, putting her hands in the air. Her blonde curled locks were bouncing on her shoulders with each move she made, I could never get over how perfect she was and no matter how many times I tried to say to myself or anyone else, I still loved her, I loved her alot. It was then that I realised what I had to do.

Before I could think more on my plan though, Steve had come back to the booth, giving me a quizzical look, “what was all that about?”

“Nothing,” I lied, still trying to keep one eye on Kimberley, thank god she hadn’t spotted me yet.

“I don’t believe you,” he smirked.

“I’m fine!” I insisted, “I’m going to go outside, I need some air,” I stood up and stumbled, luckily Steve caught me before I did any real damage, the whole room now was spinning, I felt sick and needed to get out, away from him,

I was finding it hard to keep my balance, but knew I had to get out of there, I located a side door and made my way though it, stumbling all over the place.

Once I had got outside, I found my way to seating area around the back, where lot’s of people were either being sick or kissing, I sank to the floor before I was hoisted up onto a bench by someone, I looked up, willing it to be her, but it wasn’t it was him,

“You’re a state Chez,” he said, sitting down next to me.

“I know,” I mumbled, looking towards the floor.

“You need to forget about her, I know that’s why you’re so bad,” he said, moving in closer.

“You don’t understand,” I mumbled again,

He put his fingers underneath my chin and raised it up so I was looking directly at him, “I think your sexy Cheryl, you need to come back to the other team,” he laughed at his own joke and then pressed his lips up against mine hard.

His hands were on my back, I was trying in vain to pull away, but the more I did the more he tried to stick his tongue in my mouth, eventually he let go and I pulled away, he  was smiling at something behind me, I spun around and to my horror Kimberley stood there, looking confused and upset,

“Kimberley?” I said, standing up, no matter how dizzy I was she needed to know what this was.

“No, Cheryl, It’s fine - honest.” She said, her voice going high, “I just saw you stumbling out – was going to make sure you were okay, but it turns out you’re being looked after,” she looked at Steve before turning around and heading back into the club.

“Whoops,” Steve laughed, I turned around, tears streaming down my face, “look don’t cry,” he said, putting his cold hand on my cheek, I pulled away and ran back into the club, trying with every part of my body not to fall over, desperately trying to find her.