Chapter 14

Chapter 14

The Past:

We reached our destination in less than a hour. Itinigil ni Luke ang Range Rover niya sa harap ng matayog naming gate. I could not deny that I was really disappointed. I assumed na matatagalan kami sa daan but that did not happen. Where was the world famous city traffic when I needed it? Because for some unknown reason, maluwag ang kalsada.

"Is this the right house?" He asked when I did not make any move to clamber out of his car.

I told him my address earlier and he got it right without asking for any direction. I was tempted to say that this was not our house because I wanted to spend a little more time with him.

He looked at me and waited for my answer. In the end, I sighed before I answered. "Yes."

He did not say a word anymore. He just gave me a get-out-of-my-car-now look. Sinamsam ko ang mga gamit ko at lumabas ng kotse niya but before I close the door ay hindi ko nakalimutan na magpasalamat.

"Thank you for bringing me home," I  said and then I faked a smile.

He just nodded. Isinara ko na ang pinto nang buhayin niya ang makina ng kotse niya. Pinanatili ko ang pekeng ngiti sa labi ko at nagawa ko pang kumaway sa papalayo niyang sasakyan. It was only when he was out of my eyesight that I let my true emotion show on my face. Sumimangot ako.

Bukod kasi sa napakabilis, he barely talked all throughout the drive. I tried to make conversation pero  puro monosyllabic lang ang nga naging tugon niya.

But come to think of it,  he came back for me. I even asked him kanina kung ano ang nakapagpabago ng isip niya at hindi niya ako tuluyang pinabayaan sa parking lot but as usual he did not said a thing.

I'm sure may naramdaman siya na kung ano kaya niya ako binalikan. Whether it was conscience, guilt or worry or care, at least he felt something. That's another good sign.

Maybe next time, I could make him talk. I clapped my hands with a new found excitement, the disappointment I felt earlier was easily forgotten. Now, I have to think what would my next move be.

I whirled around and pressed the doorbell. After couple of seconds the guard looked through the peephole. Nang makilala niya ako ay agad niya akong pinagbuksan at pinapasok.

I fished the key of my Audi from my bag and I gave it to him. "Ask the driver to get my car from the university. Flat 'yung isang gulong."

"Sige po, Miss." Tugon niya.

Matapos ang maiksi kong pakikipag-usap sa guard ay nagtuloy na ako sa bahay. I was about to proceed to my room but I bumped into one of the maids.

"Good evening, Miss," she greeted me. "Mabuti naman po at dumating na kayo. Kanina pa po kayo hinigintay ng Daddy niyo."

Oh.

I forgot na ngayon nga pala ang dating ni Daddy from his business trip. "Where is he?"

"Nasa study room po."

I smiled and rather than going to my room, I walked toward the direction of the study.

I was about to knock on the study door but I noticed that it was ajar so I just peeked inside.

I saw Dad sitting in front of his table. He was leaning on the backrest of his swivel chair and he was massaging his temple while talking with someone on the phone. By the looks of him, I was sure that he was encountering some problems.

I stood motionless by the door and eavesdropped on his telephone conversation.

"No. I told you to put that deal on hold. There are many irregularities in their proposal!"