Chapter 20

TWENTY

Daniel

"I told her." Lia said. "I told her and now she knows." She crossed her arms and batted her big, brown eyes at me. 

I looked at her, wide-eyed and angry. She couldn't tell her. It was against all policies. Lauren can't know the truth. I banged both palms on my desk and stood up. "Are you out of your mind?" She just grinned at me. "You're putting her life in danger! She can't know. It'll kill her." 

"Too late." She said. "Besides, she has to know the enemy. It could be worse if she found Jonathan pointing a gun at her by surprise." 

She had a point. But she still couldn't know. She loved Jonathan, but he was her past. I'm now her present. Their affair wasn't real, mine's is. I loved her because I did not because my brain was forced, controlled or dictated. I loved her because I had no reason to. I just did. And now Lia was ruining it. 

"I'm telling Dr. Fiouris." I picked up my cell and dialed Dr. Fiouris' office number. "And I'll be sure that you'll pay for what you did." 

"What I did?" She raised an eyebrow. "You did this yourself. You knew she was his. You knew she didn't belong to you!" 

"Get out." I scowled. Lia just stared at me, brows furrowed, eyes like a snake's. "Get out!" I yelled more loudly this time. She flashed me one final smile and got out of my office. Once she did, I ran both hands through my hair and buried my face on my arms. She knows he's real. Any minute now she can be gone from me. 

I can't help but cry. I'm strong, but when it comes to losing her, I'm weak. I can't lose her. I can't watch Jonathan love and hate her at the same time. I know him. He serves his nation, but he also has a heart that loves unconditionally. I can't bear to see her in his arms. I can't imagine his head against his chest as he strokes his hair. I can't imagine Jonathan taking my place. I can't think of losing Lauren. Not now. Not ever. 

I dialed Dr. Fiouris' office number.  After the second ring, his secretary picked up. After about ten seconds, I got the chance to speak to him.

"Hello, Doctor?" 

"Yes, Daniel? What can I do for you, my boy?" He asked, his tone jolly and bright. 

"She knows he's real. Lia told her." There was dead silence at the end of the phone. 

Now that she knows, there's no turning back. But I won't let her go. I won't give her up. I'm keeping her where she rightfully belongs. 

                                                         ------------------------------

"How did she tell her?" Dr. Fiouris asked sternly. 

"I don't know, Sir." I shrugged my shoulders. "Before she went to Aurum, Lia must've revealed to her the whole truth." 

"Do you know what this means?" Dr. Fiouris' voice rose to a crescendo. I lowered my head, knowing the answer myself. It meant that I could lose her. It meant that I could lose the only thing I'm living for. "But come to think of it," He said, a finger rubbing his chin. "What Lia did was pretty..." He paused, eyeing me. "Useful." 

"Useful?" I felt rage well up within me. I curled my hands into fists and started breathing heavily. "You're putting her in danger!" 

Dr. Fiouris shook his head. "There are a lot of things you don't understand, Daniel." 

"Well, make me understand!" I yelled. "It's Lauren we're talking about. I have to understand!" I looked like a boy throwing a tantrum but I didn't care. I needed to know. I needed to know why he's conceding with Lia this time. All of a sudden, a thought popped in my mind. They planned this all along. "You...you...you..." I stuttered. "You and Lia... You planned everything, didn't you? You wanted her to know."