Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Lia

"Marry me?" I see Lawrence's back towards me. He's bent on one knee and holding a velvet red box on one hand. He scratches his head and lets out a frustrated sigh. He stands up and bends on his knee again. "No, no. That's not right." He slides down on his knee and holds the ring with his fingers. "Lia Carter, I've been waiting for this moment my whole life..." He stopped and let out a series of groans. "It just can't be perfect!" He screams. I supress a laugh. Doesn't he know that he doesn't need to rehearse if he plans to propse to me. Perfect or not, I'd still say yes. Our love's broken regulations, surpassed bloodlines and withstood the test of time. I'm sure of it. It's Lawrence Chiu that I want to be with for the rest of my life.

"Lia Carter, will you marry me?" His voice is so angelic that I could feel my head spin at the sound of it. I clear my throat so that he could feel my presence.

He swivels around, shuts the box and turns beet red. He slides the box in his pocket and puts his hand on the back of his neck. His eyes almost disappear out of embarrassment. He probably knew I've been watching him for so long.

"Since when have you been back?" He asked.

"I've been gone for two weeks and that's my welcome?" I sarcastically replied. "Good going, flipper boy." I pick up my bags and started to walk out the door when I feel his arms slip around my waist. I adjust to them, fitting perfectly. "Now, that's more I like it." I winked. "Do I need to storm out or get angry before you have the incentive to make a move?"

"Yeah. Sometimes you do." He admits.

"What?" I take his hands off me and turn to face him. "You're a worthless boyfriend." I cross my arms and frown. "Guys make the first move. Girls don't need to catch their attention all the time."

"It's because I like seeing you mad." He smiles. "Nǐ shì rúcǐ měilì."

"What? I don't understand you. Lawrence Chiu, do not use your freakin' Chinese language on me."

"I thought you'd already learned."

"Well, that was pretty basic." I reason out. "It was comprised of three words: No, Don't, and I love you. Actually, it's five."

He chuckled and kisses me on the lips. The kiss was so sudden that I drowned at its entirety. I was glad to be back. I was glad to be home.

"Nǐ shì wǒ jiànguò de zuì piàoliang de nǚrén, Lia Carter." He pushes a loose strand away from my face and tucks it on my ear. He kisses me again, this time more passionate and yearning. Although I did not understood what he just said, I kissed him back. His lips were moist and warm against mine. I looped my hands around his neck and pulled him closer, afraid to let him go. His hands skimmed my sides as we drunk each other in, the world around us continuing to spin. He pulled me closer and I gasped at his sudden move. It was hard not to be around him. Everything about me ached to be with my Lawrence. Silly as it seems, I wasn't complete without him.

"Nǐ bù zhīdào wǒ shì duōme de xiǎngniàn nǐ. I thought about you every day."

"Me too, Lawrence." I manage to say. I pull him to an embrace and I press my head against his chest. The sound of his heartbeat kept me going. Someday, he'd understand all this. Someday, Lawrence will understand why I had to do this. It's not just for me. It's for him. It's for my people.

My people.

I have heard Lauren said that before when she was fighting for the marginalized citizens of Aurum. I am now realizing new things. I never thought we could be alike in so many ways. I may not have her physical strength, but I have her willpower. We knew what's it like to fight.