Chapter 10

TEN

Daniel

I had a wonderful night with her.

I couldn't stop tossing and turning on my bed as I thought about Lauren Steel. I shut my eyes and forced myself to sleep but I couldn't take out the excitement of seeing her the following day. In my mind, I saw her smiling, her green eyes bright with wonder as she started at the patch of stars scattered on the uniquely colored sky above us. I saw her asking questions and remembered her occasional crease of eyebrows and the way she pursed her lips. I've been wanting to kiss her ever since even though she was sound asleep in her simulation. I kissed her in there while riding the chariot but back then it wasn't real. It all happened in our heads. Right now, we've been too close to each other. Another inch more and I would've kissed her. I put a finger to my lips, brushing it lightly and remembering the feel of her own soft lips pressed against mine. I felt her exhaling and felt the thumping of her heart against her chest. She was so gentle compared to her warrior facade in the simulation. She was so breakable and contrasting from her purpose as a perfect soldier.

Quit thinking, Daniel. Get some sleep. I muttered to myself as I put a pillow atop my head, attempting to crush away all the noise and banish all the thoughts. But it was no use. Lauren still invaded every corner of my mind. I could see her everywhere-her smile, her eyes, the way she would laugh, the way she speaks, her voice when seriousness washed over her, the way she had devoured her first crepe, the way she told me that she was happy that I'm real.

But was she really happy? Was she really happy with me a while ago? Or was it just another side effect of the simulation? Or was she still thinking about Jonathan?

Shut it, Daniel. Get some sleep. She was happy with you. She felt something. She enjoyed her first day outside the premises. She was happy and you were happy too. That's what matters. Don't think about other things too much. She's all that matters.

I closed my eyes again and willed myself to sleep. Images of Lauren floated in my mind. I opened them and stared at the ceiling. I was hopeless. As long as I thought about her, I knew I wasn't going to get a wink of sleep.

------------------------------------

Lauren and I were standing before a couple of paintings. Her arm was interlocked with mine as I tried to explain to her one of my favorite portraits, "Eden".

"This was how Aurum looked like after the Apocalypse." I began pointing out details such as the tall, green trees shooting up at the blue sky, the smiling faces of the people as they built new homes, the brown fertile soil of the Earth and the ships that saved the citizens, hovering close by, looking like birds in the sunlight. "It was painted by an artist of the New World, Leandro Rossi." I informed her. "Do you know him?"

She shook her head, her brown curls falling over her bare shoulders and her black dress. I told her that we were going to an art museum today and a gathering later evening. It was a good thing Dr. Carter managed to keep a couple of clothes for her. He told me that it was going to be of use in future events. I had to get through him to allow Lauren to get a leave for training. Gleefully, he agreed much to the fact that I was his creation's ideal mate. But I wanted Lauren to see me as more than that. I wanted her to love me not because I was recommended for her, not because they told me that she was better with me, not because of any science or theory but because she truly loved me for who I am and what I'm not.

"I like it because it symbolizes a new beginning, a new start. And I guess everybody deserves it." Lauren just smiled at me before her eyes drifted back to the paintings. "I'm sorry if this is getting too boring." I apologized.

"No." She chuckled. "It's actually my first time in a museum."

"Wow." I said, startled. "I seem to have a lot of appearances in your first times."