Chapter 4: Try Again

At the end of his busy workday, Jason comes home, a note on the kitchen counter from Palmer saying she ran into town to get a few groceries. Setting the note, down he grabs a bottle of water and walks to his home office—booting up his computer to do more work stuff.

          "Jason?" He hears Palmer's voice a little while later.

          "Yeah I'm in here," he calls out. He hears footsteps coming up the stairs.

          "Hey," Palmer smiles walking over and kissing him on the lips.

          "Hey," kissing back. "How was your day?"

          "Good. How did your surgeries go? Are you tired?"

           "They went well. I mean yeah a little, but I'm fine. It's only 5:30," Jason smiles.

          "Are you on call tonight? If not, I want you to turn your phone off before dinner till tomorrow morning," Palmer asks, sitting on Jason's lap.

          "No, I'm not on call. The other surgeon is on call tonight," Jason smiles, pulling out his phone and checking it one more time then turning it off.

          "Thank you. I want you all to myself tonight if that's okay?" Palmer leaning down to kiss her husband.

          "What's for dinner?" Jason smirks.

          "I was thinking surf and turf blackened shrimp with mango salsa and grilled cheese with bacon, English cheddar and smoked Gouda with a white wine soaked bruschetta," Palmer smiles.

          "I'm telling ya, your cooking skills are out of this world. Next time I see your saint of a mother I'm thanking her," Jason chuckles.

          "This looks delicious babe," Jason applauds as he sits down, looking at the full dining room table.

          "Good, eat up," Palmer smiles sitting down herself.

           "So what did you want to talk about with me?" Jason asks after a few bites.

          "Well I've been thinking, I know we've had our problems lately, but we have been married for two years now, and I couldn't be more in love with you. I think I'm ready to have a baby," Palmer looks up at him. "I know we need to have sex first, but I think if we try we could. What do you think?"

          "I'm ready to have kids too but I'm not all for getting ready to and you push away from me, or slap me because you think I'm your pathetic dad. Remember the black eye you gave me?"

          "And I'm sorry about that, you know I don't mean to slap you, don't you?"

          "Yeah I know, it's just hard you know to watch that and to know that your wife went through that."

          "I know, but it's in the past, and I want to leave it in the past. I really want to try baby, but you have to be open to it too."

          "You know I want kids," Jason smiles, taking another bite.

          "I know, we haven't talked about it in a while."

          Jason smiles and goes back to eating.

          "Do you want to maybe try again tonight?"

          "You ready for that?"

          "I think so," Palmer nods. "But will you take it slow with me?"

          "Yeah, it will be like our first time all over again," Jason winks.

          "Babe you make me laugh."

           About an hour later after cleaning up the mess in the kitchen, they make their way upstairs. Palmer laying on the bed watching Jason undress.

          "Why are you watching me like a creep?" Jason smirks, unbuttoning his dress pants.

          "Sorry," Palmer chuckles. "You're hot."

          Jason laughs as he crawls into bed with Palmer, sliding his arm around her and softly pressing his lips to hers.

          "How did you get to be such a brilliant doctor as well as sexy? And how did I get to call you my husband?" Palmer asks, sliding her hand on his neck.

          "I don't know," Jason winks. "We are both lucky I guess."

          "Why are you lucky?" Palmer asks kissing Jason's chin.

          "Because I'm lucky to have you," playing with Palmer's hair.

          Smiling to herself she leans up and kisses Jason firmly on the lips. He takes things slowly like promised, knowing he doesn't want to be victim to another black eye.