Chapter 20: Showing Concern

Finishing up for the day at the new hospital, Jason makes the fifteen-minute drive, having no idea his wife and father met earlier in the day. Pulling up to the guest house, he walks in smelling chicken, he smiles.

          "Hey babe, I'm home," he calls out setting down his briefcase.

          "Hey dinner's ready," Palmer says emerging from the kitchen, planting a kiss on his lips. "How was your day?"

          "It was good," kissing her back. "It smells great in here."

          "We can eat now or later, either way, I've lost my appetite but I will keep you company while you eat," Palmer nods.

          "You need to eat Palmer," Jason commands as he walks into the kitchen to make his plate.

          "I'm okay, you eat," taking a slow sip of her water.

          "You know I hate it when you do this shit," Jason gives Palmer a look.

          "What shit? I just said I'm not hungry."

          "What's going on?" sitting down at the barstool.

          "Nothing, I ate a carrot while I was cooking and now I'm full," sitting down herself.

          "Okay," is all he says.

          "Long day?" asking Jason. "Is that why you're pissy?"

          "I'm not pissy, you're the one who won't tell me what is going on," Jason says defensively.

          "Why are you so sure that something is going on?!"

          "Cause I know you, Palmer."

          "Maybe you're wrong," Palmer spits back.

          "Then prove me wrong." 

          "Nothing is going on, finish your dinner."

          Rolling his eyes, he goes back to eating not saying much else and just letting it go, not wanting to cause an argument.

          "When are you going to London again?" Palmer breaking the silence.

          "I have to go this weekend."

          "What?! I thought it wasn't for another few weeks.

          "No, I have to go this weekend."

           "Why?"

           "I don't know Palmer. I have to finish my clients there before I can fully commit here," Jason says.

          "Oh okay, that's fine. I suppose," Palmer frowns to herself.

          "Will you please tell me what is going on? It is absolutely killing me. I can tell something is up with you," putting his plate in the dishwasher.

           "Nothing is actually going on, but before you say no, would you mind if I asked your dad to keep an eye on you in London? Just for my peace of mind."

          "And why would my dad need to keep an eye on me?" 

          Palmer shrugs, "Just for my peace of mind. I want to know you're okay."

          "I guess that's fine," Jason sighs.

          "What's wrong?"'

          "Nothing, I just don't need protection," a smile finally forming on Jason's lips.

          "I know, but I still worry about you," kissing the side of Jason's head. "You know, with my dad around."

          "I'm not afraid of your dad and his goons. I already told you that."

          "No but I am, and I want you to be safe."

           "I'm more concerned about my dad keeping you safe than me."

           "I'll be okay. I'll go stay with them while you're gone."

          "Fine," Jason sighs, leaning down and kissing his stubborn wife's forehead.