Chapter 12: Moving Talk

About a week later, Jason and Palmer are on a flight to Monterey, California, Jason's hometown. After about a fifteen-hour flight and two layovers, they finally land. Once they get their luggage, they make the twenty-five-minute journey to Jason's childhood home. Palmer believes she is more excited than Jason since she's never had even a good relationship with her parents, thankful she gets along with his well. Only recently her and her mother getting along.

          Pulling into a housing addition, Jason turns on a few streets before finally pulling up to a beige stucco, four bedroom home. He steps out of the car, the smell of salt in the air, something he has missed for sure since the Pacific Ocean is behind the addition—easy beach access. They walk up, hand in hand as Jason knocks on the door, his parents greeting them right away. They all exchange hugs, and Jason's mom automatically moves her hand to her daughter-in-law's stomach.

          Palmer smiles, somewhat used to people rubbing her belly but not getting annoyed when her husband's mom does it—since it is her grandchild. She patiently answers all of Tammy's questions about the baby. They all make their way to the living room.

          Catching up, Tammy gets up to check on dinner, Jason's dad Ronnie outside, Jason looks over at his wife. "You okay?" Jason asks, kissing her temple.

          "Yeah I'm good, I need a nap, but I will take one later. I don't want to go to bed as soon as we get here. I don't want to be rude," planting a kiss on his lips.

          "Babe you're pregnant, and technically it's like 1 a.m. at home. You're allowed, and they'll understand."

           "I'm okay, I'll stay a little longer," Palmer smiles as both his parents walk back in. "So Ron, how's your hobby going? I looked up that thing you asked me to, but I didn't find anything worth showing you."

          Palmer referring to yachts that Jason's father loves to look at.

           "It's going well and thank you for searching," he laughs.

           "You should come to visit us soon though. I know this guy who is really into yachts, and you would be able to get a lot of info from him before you buy yours."

           "I'll definitely make a point to do that," Ronnie smiles.

          While everyone is sitting around chatting, catching up on the latest gossip nobody hearing Jason's sister Kristin walk in with her daughter Kiera. When Kristin walks in, she sees Palmer. The girls both squeal with excitement. Kristin and Palmer became very close when the pair started dating. After giving Palmer a hard, long hug, she makes her way in-between Palmer and Jason.

           "Make yourself at home Kristin," Jason smirks.

           Palmer laughs as she is instantly in a better mood when she sees Kristin. She fills her in on all the details about the baby, showing her some pictures for items she's planning to get for the baby. In the midst of Palmer talking, Jason follows his mom to the kitchen. Of course, Palmer and Kristin continue to talk and catching up with her about what's been going on.

           "I'm guessing you mentioned something to Kristin about us being here?" Jason asks his mother.

          "Of course I did," smiling. "So how are you and Palmer? Is her family still a problem?"

          Nodding his head, pulling himself up on the counter, "we are good, pleased now that she is pregnant. I've been waiting for this but I mean her mom no. She stayed with us for a few weeks when we found out Palmer was pregnant. Her dad on the other end, well he's a whole another story."