Chapter 23: Welcome Max

All the way back in California, Palmer's contractions are coming closer together. Looking at Jason's mom, trying to suppress the pain. "Where's Jason? Is he coming?"

          "I don't know honey," Tammy answers.

          "Where's my mum? I need Jason, and my mum please," Palmer sighs as she's close to tears with being in so much pain. The contractions are getting closer together.

          "I'll go see where he's at," Tammy reassures, walking out of the room and to Ronnie. "Where's Jason?"

          "I...think Palmer's dad has umm...Tammy, please don't get upset."

          "Ronnie what? Her dad what?"

          "I think they have him. Palmer came to me with this before Jason left and asked me to look after him. I just hung up with one of the guys that work for her dad."

          "Find him, Ronnie," Tammy sighs, having to hold onto a chair to keep from fainting.

          "I'm trying. Go see how Palmer's doing and for God's sake do not tell her any of this," Ronnie warns. "Tell her he's on his way for now. I don't know what else to say to her at this point."

          Tammy nods, walking back into the room, "he's on his way honey," Tammy smiles, hating that she is lying to her daughter-in-law.

          Sighing in relief, "Oh good, I really don't think I can hold on till he gets here, but I really hope he gets here soon," Palmer smiles.

          "Don't wait on him, honey. If he wants to come out, he wants to come out."

          A few more excruciating hours later, healthy baby Max Shawn Careins enters the world. Palmer had to finally push, not being able to hold out for her husband anymore. Completely exhausted, she falls asleep waiting for Jason to arrive. Tammy, Ronnie, and Palmer have no idea that Jason is actually passed out, sitting up and tied to a chair in an abandoned building.

          Waking up, finally coming to, he feels a hard pressure around his wrists, his arms, and shoulders aching. Opening his eyes a little more, having to squint to adjust to the single light beam pointed to him. He averts his eyes to the tall silhouette straight ahead. The figure coming closer—Palmer's deranged father.

          "Palmer had the baby in case you were wondering," he says sly, walking to Jason.

          "And how the hell do you know that?" Jason asks, spitting more blood on the floor, his whole body aching with the motion.

          "Ronnie has his eyes everywhere, so do I."

          "I'm not giving you money because I don't have any money to give you," Jason says sternly.

           "Bullshit if you don't have any money, who does?"

          "What are you going to do Michael? Kill me?" Jason smirks.

          "I could kill you, but I know your father will give anything to have you back and when Palmer hears of this, she will part with the money in no time."

          Jason swallows hard," they won't give you shit. Didn't time in jail teach you a lesson?"

          Ignoring Jason's question, "I've got to go check on your dad's men outside make sure they aren't causing too much trouble," walking off. And just like that, he's gone—leaving Jason in the room by himself.