Chapter 25: First Interaction

Daylight shines into the broken window, hitting Jason square in the face. He tries to sit up, pain shooting everywhere. The door opens, Michael coming back into the room and to Jason sitting on the metal chair.

          "Bye," he smiles, untying his son-in-law.

          "You better hope I never see your sorry ass again," Jason threatens, standing up slowly.

          For the next couple days, Palmer still in the hospital and not getting a whole lot of sleep constantly worrying about Jason. She sits in the bed, Max in the nursery to give Palmer some quiet—not allowed to get out of bed since her post-op stitches are still healing.

         Jason walks into the hospital, getting there a few hours prior but having to get checked. Stepping away from the kidnapping with a black eye, swollen lip, a few broken ribs, and a dislocated shoulder. His arm in a sling. The moment he sees his parents he walks faster, his parents shooting up to give him a much-needed hug.

          "Ow, be careful."

          "How are you? You look like hell," his dad smiles.

          "Yeah not feeling too hot either," Jason laughs. "How is she?"

          "She's nearly hysterical," Ronnie exclaims.

          "Shit," he says softly. "Is he okay?"

          "He's perfect," his mom nods.

          "How much money did he end up getting?"

          "Close to twenty grand."

          "Jesus Christ, I'll be back," Jason knocks on her door. He doesn't hear anything when he walks in, Palmer looking up from the TV, her face expressionless.

          "Hey," Jason says softly, walking towards her.

          Palmer sits there, not saying anything as the TV plays in the background. He walks over to her, leaning down and pressing his lips to her forehead. Instinctively Palmer wraps her arms around Jason, burying her face in his chest. Of course, Jason winces, but not pulling away as he closes his eyes.

           "Ow," he says softly.

          "Sorry," she says, reaching up and touching his face. "Are you mad?"

            "I'm not going to talk about that right now. Where's our son?" kissing her forehead.

            "He's in the nursery, but it's time to feed him again so the nurse will be here in a moment with him."

           "Mom and dad said he's perfect."

          "Of course he is, he's our son. He wouldn't be anything but perfect," Palmer grins.

          Almost on cue, the nurse comes in, wheeling Max in. Jason tears up the moment he sees his son. Palmer begins to feed him.

          "He's a hungry monkey just like his dad. You can hold him when he's full," she smiles, glad to have Jason back.

          "He's so tiny baby," Jason smiles.

          "I know, but he hurt coming out all the same," Palmer smiles.

          "You were worried he was going to be huge," pulling the chair closer to the bed.

          "I know," she laughs. "He's so amazing though. I'm so glad he's here, but I miss being pregnant with him at the same time."

           Jason smiles watching Palmer feed their little creation, lightly moving his fingers over his head full of black hair. Finishing up feeding him, Palmer holds him up and passes the tiny, fragile human being to Jason. She is relieved and happy that he's back and safe.  

          "Hey little guy," Jason coos. "I'm your dad," he sniffles, tears forming in his eyes.

          Palmer smiles watching the first interaction of father and son. So many thoughts and thinking how Max didn't almost have a father until a few days ago.

          "What did you end up naming him?" Jason asks.

          "Max," Palmer smiles.

          "I like it," Jason smiles, looking back down at Max. "Definitely not freaking Michael," kissing his forehead, "you don't want that name, trust me."

          "Honey, can we talk to you for a second?" Jason's mother asks as they walk outside the bedroom door.

          "Yeah what's up?"

          "What exactly happened?" his father asks. Tammy checking her son's bruises.

          "They stopped me and took me from the hotel," Jason begins. "Her dad punched me in the face. They took me into a car where they continued to punch me. They tied me up to a chair and beat me a couple more times."

          "Remind me again why you picked Palmer knowing that her family is like that?"

          "I didn't know. And that shouldn't define my decision to pick her. I fell in love with her regardless of her past."

          "Yeah, I suppose. How's she doing?"

          "Better, I'm assuming since I'm here."

          "She did excellent Jason. You would have been so proud of her," his mom beams.

          "I don't doubt that."