Chapter 9: Pregnant

A couple months down the line, Palmer finally overcame her fear of her dad, talking to her lawyer—signing the affidavit. Her dad has been arrested and taken to jail. Since the arrest, Palmer's mother Ellen has been staying with the Careins because of the trial.

           While Jason is busy at work, Palmer and her mom are the hospital since Palmer has an appointment with her obstetrician—wanting to confirm the home pregnancy test she took the day before.

          "So, how are you going to break the news to Jason?"

           "Oh, mum he's going to be so happy. He's wanted to be a dad for so long, this is absolutely going to make his day," Palmer says as they get in the car.

          "Are you going to get creative with it?"

          "I have no idea. I will think of something."

          When Jason gets home early afternoon, he looks out the kitchen window, Palmer laying on the hammock reading.

          "Hey," Jason smiles walking outside.

           "Oh you're home, come lay down with me," closing her book.

           "Um okay?" Jason laughs, climbing on the hammock lying beside her. Palmer acting strangely.

           "Why are you laughing? The sun is out, so I thought I would catch some sun. How was work?"

          "It was good."

          "Do you remember when we first moved into this house?" Palmer asks.

           "Yeah, you thought I was joking with you at first."

           "I know," Palmer mods. "I didn't think you would want to move out of your bachelor pad quite yet. But I'm glad we got this house, I love the garden, and that spot over there," Palmer pointing over to an empty spot in their yard. "That spot would be perfect for a little swing, especially because it's got a little slope to propel you. If you had maybe just learned to walk," Palmer all smiles, waiting to see if Jason gets the subtle hint.

           "Hey, don't knock the bachelor pad," Jason winks at her.

           "Oh I wouldn't dare knock the bachelor pad," Palmer leans in, kissing Jason softly. "Let's go in, give a hand getting up?"

           "Where's your mom?" Jason asks, pulling Palmer up off the hammock.

          "Probably running errands," shrugging her shoulders. "What do you think about having her around for a bit longer?" Palmer asks Jason.

           "Like how long?"

           "About a year," Palmer says casually.

           "What?" Laughing a little, closing the back door behind him. "Why a year?"

           "I might need a little help around here."

           "You do a pretty damn good job by yourself. I don't know what you would need help with. I help you when I can."

           "I'm expecting to be a bit busier in the coming months and a bit bigger," Palmer smiles.

          "Palmer are you pregnant?" Jason smiles, slightly confused.

          "What? No, who said that?" Palmer smiles.

          "Don't screw with me," laughing, Palmer just smiles watching him. "You're pregnant?" he laughs, sliding his arms around her kissing her hard.

           Palmer kisses Jason back, returning the passion. She has a sudden sense of relief, feeling happy, light and confident about the whole thing.

          "I love you," Palmer hears Jason say.

          "I love you too," Palmer chirps. "I'm so happy. I never thought this day would come."

          "And yes your mom can stay here," Jason laughs.

           "Good, I need her. I'm terrified about becoming a mother. I barely manage to be a wife."

           "Shut up you're the perfect wife," Jason compliments, lifting Palmer up. "Babe I'm so excited."

           "You better learn how to be a daddy."

           "I take care of you don't I?" Jason winks.

           "That's true, but I meant a different kind of daddy," Palmer giggles.

           "You hungry?"

           "I'm always hungry. Do you want to cook or go out?"

           "What do you want to do?"

           "I want to eat," Palmer laughs. "That's all I know. I'm so hungry, this baby is going to be so fat."