Chapter 19: Asking for Protection

Towards the end of the week, after Jason has gone to work Palmer sets out for Ronnie's office—needing to talk to her father-in-law. She pulls up to the tall brick building and heads inside. Walking into his office, unannounced, before his secretary can stop her hoping she is doing the right thing.

          "Well hello Palmer," her father-in-law greets, looking up from his computer. "What brings you in?"

          "Can we talk? I'm so sorry to drop in without warning," she says getting straight to the point.

           "Oh no it's okay, I'm not busy, but yeah sure. What's on your mind?"

          "I know that last time we were visiting you guys you told Jason to tell you if there are any problems with my so-called family," Palmer begins. "I know that Jason would never dream of doing anything to my family no matter how annoying they are, but Ronnie please you've got to help me. I'm scared, and I've nowhere to go."

          "Okay, what's been going on?"

           "Well, Jason has to go back to London in a few weeks to finish up his clients there. My dad knows this. I don't know how but he knows. He has run into some problem with his bad associates, and he knows Jason and I are well off, and of course, you are as well. He's demanding a lot of money. He's threatening to..." Palmer trails. "To err...well he's saying Jason won't come back to me from his trip to London if he doesn't get the money."

          "So they plan on taking him out?" Ronnie asks about his son. "It's not going to happen Palmer."

          "I don't know what they are going to do, but I know that his threats aren't empty. Jason doesn't know any of this. If I told him he wouldn't care and would dismiss it without another thought. Please tell me you're going to fix this, please Ronnie I need your assurance you'll take care of this."

          "I can offer you my best Palmer you know that. I'll make sure I have some people looking after him, but you have to tell me what specific threats they are making towards you and my son."

          "I don't know, he just said he needs X amount of money, and if he doesn't get it he will take Jason as collateral," Palmer sighs.

          "I'll handle it," Ronnie says. "I don't need you causing stress with our grandson almost here."

          "Thank you. I would appreciate it if we could keep this between us. I know Jason will be furious if he knew I told you any of this."

          "He'll be mad regardless, I know my son," half smiling.

          "That's true. But thank you so much. I don't care what you do to save Jason. I want him safe, and I need my mum to be safe till she arrives here. Knowing my dad, he will be getting after her if he can't get Jason."

          "I'll get your mom here no problem, but you should probably mention it somewhat to Jason."

          "Okay thank you again. I'll leave you to get on with your work. I'll see you Sunday for dinner at yours."

          "I'll see you," getting up and giving Palmer a hug.