Chapter 43: Baby Number Three

Max is looking down at his phone, playing a game and awaiting the arrival of his baby sister along with Payge. The two Careins kids are in the waiting room, having heard nothing from their dad.

          "Do you think mom's okay?" Payge looks over asking her older brother. "I mean she's been in there for a while now. How long have we been sitting in here?"

          Looking up from his phone, "We've been in here for like two hours," he sighs readjusting his body on the hard hospital chair. "I'm sure she's fine, we both know mom is tough."

         "Yeah," Payge smiles. "Do you remember when she told us about grandpa?" 

          "Her dad?" Max looks over correcting her. "Yeah, I remember. I still couldn't believe that when she told us." 

          "Right?" Payge says. "I still can't believe that happened to her. I couldn't even imagine."

         "Yeah I know but can we stop talking about, please? It just gives me the creeps," Max sighs. 

          "Yeah sorry," Payge nods. She looks at her brother and then back down at her phone.

          Making his way down the hall, nothing but a smile on his face as he was just made a dad once again. Walking past a few rooms before stepping into the waiting room, his other two sitting there on their phones.

          "Hey guys," he says to the pair.

          "Is she okay?" Max asks, his sister following behind him.

          "Yeah she's fine," Jason smiles, Payge wrapping her arm around her father. "Do you guys want to meet your baby sister?"

          Payge pulls away, nodding her head and smiling from ear to ear. In the middle of the two, Jason wraps each arm around his children's shoulders, Max on one side and Payge on the other.

          When they walk in, Palmer is holding a bundled baby in her arms. Payge walks away from her dad and to her mom, standing by the bed. She runs her thumb over her little sister's forehead.

          "Max look at her, she's so cute," Payge looks up at her brother.

          Max steps closer looking down at her.

         "What did you guys name her?" Payge asks, Palmer handing the infant to Payge.

          "Madeline Grace Careins," Palmer answers smiling.

          "Hi Madeline," Payge coos, sitting down in the tan chair by the window admiring her little sister. Max walks over and sits down on the other chair joining Payge.

          Jason smiles and winks at Palmer before walking over and climbing on the bed, kissing her forehead.

          "You need to take a picture of that," Palmer says, nodding towards Max and Payge gawking over the infant.

        Jason pulls out his phone, snapping the picture.

         "We did it," Palmer says softly, laying her head on his shoulder.  

          "Did what?"

         "Had three kids," she laughs.

          "We did a lot more than that," he says softly. "We've been through some shit and some people called me crazy for staying, but I'm glad I did. I'm pretty glad I married such a strong woman, a survivor at that."

          Palmer smiles, leaning over and kissing him softly.