Chapter 40: Body Bag

When her eyes finally open back up, she sees a body bag. The black plastic one would see in crime shows, one on the floor and full, she knows there's a body in there.

          "Oh my god, who's in there?! Who's in there?!" Palmer yells.

          "Ma'am I need you to calm down. Do you need medical attention?" the officer asks.

          "No, where is my husband? Jason?!" Palmer calls for him, her voice breaking. She gets a sinking feeling in her stomach that Jason is the one in the body bag.

          "He's at the hospital getting medical attention. He's gonna be fine."

          "Does that mean it's my dad in there?" Palmer asks not sure what emotions she's meant to be feeling about it.

          "Um yes, ma'am."

          Palmer slowly stands up. "We'll be more than happy to get you transported to the hospital to check on your husband," the officer offers.

          "Where are my children?" Palmer asks.

           "That I do not know ma'am." Pulling her phone out of her pocket she decides to ring her oldest.

          "Hey mom," Max picks up on the second ring.

          "Honey, where are you?" she asks him calmly.

          "I'm at a friend's why? I thought you knew."

          "I didn't. Dad probably forgot to tell me. Where's Payge? Is she with you?"

          "No, she's with Gretchen."

          "Okay here's what I want you to do. I want you guys to stay with your friends tonight is that okay? I'll come pick you up in the morning."

          Max laughs. "Mom that was the point, but yeah I'll text Payge and tell her."

          "Thank you, darling, love you. I'll see you tomorrow," she hangs up.

          She gets her transportation to the hospital, Jason having to go into surgery to get the bullet out of his thigh and to clean the area thoroughly.

          She gets to the hospital and making her way up to his room, breaking down the minute she sees him.

         "Oh, darling!"

          "I'm fine," reassuring her, seeing her crying.

          "Are you okay? I'm sorry I wasn't able to get you to the hospital. I don't know what happened to me. I think I passed out when I thought you were dead."

          "It's okay. I'm fine. They just had to remove the bullet and stitch me back up."

          A police officer walks in. "Jason Careins?

         "Yes sir?" Jason asks.

          "How are you feeling?"

          "I feel just fine," nodding his head.

          "Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?"

          "Yeah go ahead," Jason sits up a little.

          "Do you have any recollection of what happened in your home earlier today?"

           "I have all the recollection in the world, sir."

          "Can you tell me what happened? In your own words."

          "My two kids were at their friend's house, so it was just Palmer and I. Palmer, my wife wanted ice cream. I left to get her ice cream, and I came back into the room and saw her dad standing in the corner, Palmer was asleep. She then proceeded to wake up, seeing her father having a gun drawn on me, and I'll admit, I had mine drawn to him also. He threatened to shoot my wife who is pregnant, and I stepped in front of her. He then shot me in the leg, and I fell, that's when I heard the other gunshot," Jason testifies to the cop.

          "The second gunshot you heard, did you fire it?"

          "I believe so yes. When I was falling from the impact."

          "Did you intentionally fire the gunshot?"

          "No sir," Jason answers, swallowing hard.

          "Are you aware of the impact you had on the intended victim?"

          "No sir."

          "He's dead," Palmer says softly.

          "What?"

         "That's all I want for now Mr. Careins, but I will be in touch. Thank you for your time and get well soon," the officer says before leaving.

          "I'm...I'm so sorry," Jason says to Palmer.

          "I'm just glad you're okay."

          Jason sits up a little more as he pulls Palmer to him, kissing her neck, then her cheek, and then her lips as he holds his wife against him. Palmer rests her head on his shoulder. She closes her eyes not sure of what to say but feeling relieved that Jason is okay and scared of what might follow when her dad's people hear of his death.

          "I love you," Jason says softly, kissing her temple.

          "I love you too," she mumbles. "Jason?"

          "Yeah?"

          "I'm not sure what we should do with his body?"

          "I don't know."

          "I don't think my mum will want anything to do with it. I'm just going to send it back to London," making a mental note to arrange that with the police after they are done with it.