Chapter 6: Panic Attack

A few hours of shopping turns into success for Palmer, getting herself and Jason a few things. Now, she's just walking around with Jen while she finishes shopping for herself. Her heart stops when she looks across the food court in the mall, seeing her dad walking towards her in the crowded area. She doesn't know where to go because she's too shocked to move.

          "Palmer are you okay?" Jen asks.

          "I, err...we need to go, now."

          "Umm okay?"

          Heart racing, Palmer and Jen walk out to the parking lot and get in Palmer's car, starting it.

          "Who's this guy?" Jen asks, Palmer's dad stepping in front of the car.

          "You stay in the car. If it looks like I'm in trouble, call Jason got it?" Palmer instructs, getting out and walking to her dad.

          "What do you want?" she asks him.

          "I wanted to talk to you," he answers, Palmer's phone vibrating in the cup holder. It's Jason.

           "Hey, Jason," Jen answers.

          "What about? You're not supposed to talk to me, let alone follow me like a creepy rapist. Oh, wait! You already are a rapist," Palmer says looking her father square in the eyes.

          "Don't call me that," grabbing his daughter's arm.

           "Um hey?" Jason asks confused. "Is Palmer around?"

           "Please, just please don't touch me," Palmer says, trying to yank her arm away.

          "Umm yeah listen something weird is happening," Jen explaining from the beginning. "...and now he's like grabbing her, and Jason I don't like it. Do you know what's going on?"

           "Stall him," Jason commands. "I'm on my way. If he hurts her in any way, you call the cops okay?" gathering his stuff.

          "Okay, hurry," Jen hangs up.

          "Why do you keep following me?!" Palmer demands.

          "I need more money. I...I got robbed."

           "Yeah? Did you get a bag of white powder from the people who took your money?" Palmer smirks. "Honestly dad, either let go of me and get lost or get ready to go back to jail, your call," trying to be stern.

          "You aren't going to do anything," grabbing Palmer's arm tighter.

          Coming to an abrupt stop, seeing Palmer and her dad, his hand on her arm. He shoves the door open and sprints over.

          "Let go of her!" Jason shouts.

           "Thank god," Palmer says yanking her arm away and walking to towards the only guy she feels safe with.

          "What? Did your dope money run out?" moving Palmer behind him. "And now you're trying to get more? I told you to leave her the hell alone man."

           "She was my daughter before she was your wife. I don't have to listen to you."

          "I understand that I really do, but you're not a man. What kind of man molests his own daughter? You're disgusting."

         "You ain't rid of me yet!" Palmer's dad says, stepping away.

          Turning, Jason walks over to Palmer, knowing she's having a panic attack. "Hey look at me please," Jason says sliding his hands on her neck. "He's gone babe," sliding a strand of hair behind her ear, kissing Palmer's forehead.

           Uncurling her fists, Palmer letting her husband hold her but not saying anything as she rests her head on his chest. Jason rests his chin on top of her head and rubbing her back—looking over at Jen. Jen looks shocked, not realizing why the whole situation affects Palmer so much.

          "Hey let's go home, I'll make dinner, and I'll make you a bath," Jason suggests kissing her forehead. "Jen you can come over for dinner if you would like."

          "You sure? I can go home, give you guys some alone time if you want," Jen says.

           "Are you not going back to work?" Palmer asks, refusing to let him go.

          "No I'm done for the day, come on," grabbing her hand. "Come on Jen. I'll drive her home."