Chapter 35: No Dating

The next morning, after wishing Palmer good luck he goes to work, leaving Palmer with Max and Payge. She lays in bed about ten minutes after Jason leaves, mentally preparing herself for the conversation she must have with her daughter. Changing into sweats and a t-shirt she goes downstairs to see what her kids are doing. She walks into the kitchen, Payge eating a bowl of cheerios and Max putting the finishing touches on his project.

          "You guys get your breakfast? Max? What do you want to eat?" pouring some coffee.

          "I already ate," not looking at his mom focused on his project. He's the only lucky one that didn't hear his parents the night before. Palmer doesn't say anything as she drinks her coffee and looking through the newspaper. Payge doesn't speak either.

          "Payge honey sorry about last night," Palmer says to get it over with.

          "I saw my dad's ass," she sighs.

          "What?" Max's eyes getting wide.

          "Come on it's a nice ass," Palmer managing a laugh.

          "Ew, mom stop."

          "Okay okay well dad and I are very sorry."

          "And next time be quiet," Payge says getting up and placing her bowl in the dishwasher. "I would like not hearing my parents getting it on in the room next to me."

          "Me and your father have noticed that you're addicted to your phone. Who are you texting so much?"

          "Nobody," Payge says, walking upstairs to get ready for school.

          "Will you keep an eye on her for me darling? I'm worried," she asks Max.

          "Sure thing. We better get going," walking over and kissing his mother's cheek, grabbing his car keys. "Payge let's go!" Max yells for his sister.

          Coming downstairs a few minutes later, wearing a crazy short dress with boots as she grabs her bag off the counter.

          "Bye you guys."

          Pulling into his driveway about 5:27 in the evening, Max's car in the driveway, he grabs his bag and walks inside and immediately to the kitchen, following the delicious aroma with his nose.

          "Hey baby," Jason greets her, kissing her softly. "Where're the kids?"

          "Upstairs."

          "Did you talk to Payge this morning?" wrapping his arms around her and placing his lips against her forehead.

          "I'm worried about her baby. She doesn't listen to a word I say. You should have seen the outfit she wore to school today."

          "Oh really? Hey Payge?" hoping she hasn't changed.

         "Yeah?"

         "Can you put your phone down and come downstairs for a second?"

          Jason and Palmer hear her walk and then padding down the steps. "I'm busy dad," she says with objection. Jason sees the outfit.

          "Yeah, you're about ready to be really busy when you have to take that dress off and put on something more appropriate."

          "What?" she frowns. "Mom, what is this?"

          Palmer shrugs.

          "Payge, you're fifteen years old, not twenty-five. Go upstairs and change. And next time you're not leaving the house wearing something like that if it means I need to stay home every morning and not leave till you and Max are off to school," Jason threatens.

          She groans and stomps her way back to her room like she used to do when she was little when Max wouldn't share his toys. The door slams shut.

          "Check her phone to see who's texting her so much. I don't see her doing much homework with that thing going off every two seconds."

          "Gotta love parenting teenagers," Jason says before walking upstairs to his daughter's room.

          "You decent?" he knocks.

          She opens the door in sweats and a t-shirt, "now what did I do?" sitting on her bed.

          "Can I see your phone?"

         "Why?"

          "Mom is concerned by who you have been texting. You always seem distracted. Your grades better not be slipping."

          Payge reluctantly hands her phone over, not saying anything and looking through the messages—the conversations not exactly child-friendly.

          "Who's Blane?"

          "My boyfriend."

          "What? You know you're not allowed to date till you're seventeen."

           "I thought you guys were joking when you said that. Dad come on! He's hot. I don't want him to think I'm a kid who has a dating curfew! Seriously," Payge sighs.

          "Because you are a kid. You're fifteen years old hun. How old is this guy?"

          "I don't know," she shrugs. "I think he's a junior or senior."

          "Yeah, your mom isn't going to be very happy. You get your homework done?"

          "Yeah, I'm done," taking her phone back. "Don't tell mom yet, please dad."

          "Payge," Jason sighs.

          "Please, dad she'll kill me."

          "Then I wish you good luck," Jason says to his daughter, walking out of her room.