Chapter 17 (Edited)

"Listen up everyone," Anna called when she got to the stage. She jumped up onto it and looked at me, a smile appearing on her face when she saw that I didnt get up. "We have a new worker here with us today, who is fairly famous in this small town..." I couldn't help but roll my eyes at that piece of information. "...Captain Ryder J Castille." She gestured for me to walk onto the stage, and so I did.

"So, what made you come back here after so many years?" the male that got on my nerves said. He smirked, and I could tell that he hated me. "My grandfather said that you were a coward and ran away from your one true love."

"Officer Tony's your grandfather, right?" I asked. "Figures." I shook my head, a smile appearing on my face. "How is that Old Coon doing? Heard that he was retiring this year."

"Ya, and you will not be going there," he replied.

"That's good," I said, nodding my head. I rubbed my chin and smirked at him. "I wasn't wanting to go." I looked around the room, ignoring the glare that James gave me. "As the lovely Miss Belle said, my name is Ryder J. Castille, and you can call me Captain Ryder, Captain Ry, or 'hey you'. I will answer to any of those three." I smirked, causing some of the members to chuckle. "I have lived here, in Montana, for my whole life until something drastic has happened, making it so that I had to leave to join the Army."

"Are there any questions that you want to ask Captain Ry?" Anna asked. "If so, please raise your hand." She pointed to one of the students of front. "Christina," she called. "What is your question?"

A chubby girl, around the age of 10 stood up. She looked to have Down Syndrome, and I was hoping that no one had been bullying her. "What happened to your arm?" she asked.

"I lost it in battle," I replied. "I was protecting a friend of mine."

"Oh," Christina said. "Do you have any siblings?"

"Christina," Anna scowled, a small smile playing on her lips. "I thought I said one-"

"Now, now, Bellie," I teased, causing the female to shoot me a glare. I gave her a smirk and was pleased when I saw her shudder just slightly. "I can answer her question. Though, I do have to catch up with those boys." I turned back to Christina. "I had a sister, who was a pain in the butt but the sweetest thing." I shook my head, smiling. "Her name was Amelia. Amelia Grace Castille."

"Oh, where is she?"

I grimaced slightly. "She passed on," I said, my voice breaking. I clenched my fist and looked away, deep regret filling my body. "I-I should've..." I took a deep breath and forced a smile on my face. "Any more questions?" I asked.

Anna placed her hand in mine and squeezed it, letting me know that she was there for me. She gave me a small, sad smile when she caught me staring at her before looking at the crowd of people. "What is it Marisol?" she asked.

Marisol stood with the help of Emily. "When is the wedding?" she asked, blantly, smirking.

I snickered and couldn't help try to stop a blush. "What wedding are you talking about?" I asked, even though I was sure I knew what she was talking about.

"Yours-"

"I think that we are done for the day. Ryder is busy and needs to get going," Anna said, interrupting Marisol. She took her hand out of mine and took a step back, away from me. Her face turned a light shade of pink, making my heart soar with the love that I had felt for her. "Please welcome Captain Ryder whenever you get the chance. And if you need help with the horses, ask him. I'm sure he'll be able to help."

"And Marisol," I said, causing the scowling female to look in the direction of my voice. I smiled and winked. "I'm working on it." With that, I jumped off of the stage and walked outside, laughing at the spluttering female that I had left behind.

***

"Oi, who do you think lives here?" I heard someone asked, while I was running. "It looks pretty abandoned."

My body was sweating, and I knew that I was panting hard. My leg started to hurt, but I kept pushing myself forward. I broke through the bushes and saw that everyone was at the old cabin that I had lived in before the death of my sister. "It's because it is," I panted, wiping my brow.

"You alright, Señor?" José asked when I limped over to an old tree stump and sat down. "You look winded."

I placed my head between my legs, trying to get my breath back. "Ya, I'm good," I said. "How long did it take you to reach the 50 acre mark?"

"We walked some," a cousin or brother of José's replied. "We didn't run all the way that you did."

I grunted and nodded. "You all are doing good." I ran a hand through my hair.

"Who lived here?" José asked.

"I did," I replied. I smirked when I saw their shocked faces. "Go look at the wood by the door. See that R.C. and A.C.? Those are mine and my sister's initials."

"So, why aren't your father's initials there?"

"If you can call him that," I spat, leaning back. "That old man was nothing of a father to me. I don't know much about being a father, but I can help out with whatever you five need. My only request is that you start respecting the people at the barn and doing the work. Deal?" I held out my right hand, raising an eyebrow.

José looked at his group members before grabbing hold of my hand. "Deal," he replied.

I nodded. "Come on, let's go back to the barns. I'll show you a short cut." With that, I stood and started to walk that way.

"What about the other 50 acres?" one of them asked.

"You can do it, or you can follow me," I said. "Whichever is fine." A smirk appeared on my face when I heard the five shuffling and started to follow me. This was going to be a fun month.