Chapter 4 (Edited)

I lifted my head as soon as I heard a car honk. A frown appeared on my face as I saw that there was a black car in front of where I was sitting. "Well, guess that's them," I muttered as I grabbed hold of my guitar. I didn't take my duffel and backpack off, because I knew that I would be in a hurry. I stood up and started to walk towards the car a few questions going through my mind.

Private Ward stepped out of the black car and opened the trunk. He turned towards me and saluted me, making me frown a bit. "Captain," he said still holding his pose as he waited for me to salute him.

"My hand is tied at the moment, Private," I said just nodding my head a little in hello. "At ease."

Private Ward nodded his head. "Yes, Captain," he said. "Lemme get your stuff." He reached for guitar and I let him have it. I would've fought him on it, but I didn't want to at the moment.

I shrugged off my backpack and pulled off my duffle. "Yes, this is all I'm taking, Private. I'm just giving it a month, like the brochure said." I noticed his frown.

"If I may, ask a direct question, Sir."

"Son, I'm not in the service anymore. I left after I got hurt. If you need to ask me something, be direct about it. And no saluting every damn chance you have," I said a small snarl in my voice. "Now, what is it?"

"Why are you just taking a month? I thought being with your girl..." He seemed a small bit fazed about what I had said.

I sighed a little and shook my head. "She needs to find someone to provide for her. I'm just making sure that Liberty gets settled in and maybe help out with the camp."

Private Ward stayed silent as he closed the trunk. He walked to the car and I followed him. "I don't understand..."

"What don't you understand?" I asked as I got in and he followed me. I took off my hat and laid it on my knee, before moving a hand through my hair. "I care about her too much to try and do stuff with her. It might be something we regret later."

Private Ward shook his head. "How do you do it?"

"Do what?" I frowned a little and looked at him.

"Most guys don't talk about their past, but you do? Why?"

"Son, I've been through more than any other male. I've grown up with Anna and I guess that's why. Don't get me wrong, I hate shopping as much as the next fellow."

Private Ward chuckled a little and fell silent.

I sighed and leaned my head against the window and just stayed silent. I couldn't describe why I turned out like this. I guess loving her helped me find myself. Now, I didn't know what to do. And I guess that scares me more than not.

***

We pulled up to the airport and Private Ward took my stuff. I grunted a little annoyed but didn't say anything as I walked towards the security. My whole body stiffened because I didn't like how I was stared at. I had done this to protect their asses, and they had to start staring at me, making me feel as I was some animal and not human, like them.

We made it through the security pinpoint and were about to board the plane when someone screamed "No!", catching my attention. "I don't want to go on the plane!" the same voice said.

"Luke! Shhhh," a distressed female said.

"Captain!" Private Ward said as I started walking the way of the screaming. "We'll be late."

"Shush," I warned him before going over to see the kid crying and pulling away from who I think was his mother.

"Luke, come on," the female said. She caught sight of me and her eyes seemed to pop out of her head as she looked me up and down. Some of her brown hair had fallen out of her bun.

I ignored her staring and knelt down in front of the young boy. I smiled a little at him as I took my hat off. "Now, what is going on here?" I asked looking up at the female.

She was... cute, but not my type. She was slender built and had green eyes. She had brown hair that was tied into a bun, a few strands out. "Ummm... he won't go onto the plane?" she asked, nervous about me.

I nodded my head before I looked at her son. "What's your name, Kid?" I asked. "And why is it that you don't want to board the plane?"

The boy sniffled. "Luke Jacobs, Sir," he said rubbing his eyes, pouting a little. "And my daddy's plane was shot down."

"So, you're scared that the plane will be shot down?" I raised an eyebrow at him, knowing the answer to that also.

Luke nodded his head and grabbed onto his mother. "What's your name?" he asked shyly.

I saluted him. "Captain Ryder J. Castille of the U.S. Army," I replied. "At your service." I grinned at him a little making him giggle nervously and dig his face in his mother's skirt. "But you may call me Mr. Ry."

"My husband was in the Air Force," the female explained. "But bombers..."

I nodded my head. During my time in the Army, I've seen things like that. It was one thing hearing it and then another thing of actually being there.

"What happened to your arm?" Luke asked looking at me with big green eyes.

"Luke," the mother scold him, making the young male look up at him. "That is not polite."

"It got shot off," I replied, nodding to his mother. "But, aren't you the man of the house?" I asked changing the subject. I raised an eyebrow, knowing the answer.

"I guess."

"Now, being the man of the house is a really big duty. I suggest that you stand straight and tall. Also, wipe your eyes."

Luke let go of his mother and stood tall. He wiped his eyes and looked at me, staying silent.

"Do you know what men in the houses do?"

Luke shook his head staying silent.

"They care about their women and make sure that they are happy. They listen to what their Elders tell them to do and help around the house. They are afraid, but they don't show the fear, because they know that they have to protect the women and kids. Hear what I'm sayin'?"

Luke nodded his head. "Yes, Sir," he said.

"Good, now, I know that you are afraid that you are scared of getting onto the plane. Heck, I've been scared of a few things but I do what I'm supposed to do."

"Do I have to get on the plane, though?"

I nodded my head. "Yes, Kiddo," I said. "You don't want to let your mother down. Now do you?"

Luke shook his head. "No, Sir," he said.

I nodded my head. "Good," I said. "Don't worry, I'll be on an airplane. Visiting a friend for the first time in years." I stood up and placed my hat on my head. I saluted him. "Now, are you ready, Soldier?"

Luke stood straighter and grinned. He saluted me. "Sir, yes, sir," he said with a grin.

I nodded to his mother, tapping my hat. "Ma'am," I said before turning away and walked towards the Private. "Let's go and no questions." With that I walked away. I knew that the son would be fine and wondered if I could be someone good for that girl that kept popping into my mind.