Chapter 11 (Edited)

Someone cleared their throat a few minutes later, and I looked up to see that Bellie was watching us. There was a playful scowl on her face as she looked at Addy before glancing at me. "Taking her away from the activities of camp, Ryder Castille? I thought I knew you better than that." She shook her head and sighed mockingly.

I shrugged my shoulder, acting indifferent about the whole situation. "She should have a partner so that she doesn't escape," I replied. I smirked teasingly at Addy. "Or else, she'll try to find me. Isn't that right, Adds?"

Addy nodded her head and grinned. She went back to the saddle that she had been working, staying silent.

Anna chuckled a little and shook her head. She looked at her time to see that it had been fifteen minutes. She frowned and glanced around. "Where's the group?" she asked. "It's been over ten minutes."

I shrugged my shoulder. "They tried pulling a me, so I ignored them and they are still running that 3 miles."

"How do you know that they were pulling a you?"

"Because, they got really uncomfortable and left, going to do what I had told them to do in the first place. I'm sure José hates me by now."

Bellie chuckled. "I remember when you did that. People commented on how fast you were, even though you just snuck away from the group. When Coach Horton found out, he made you do double and was on your tail, yelling at you."

I mocked grimace but grinned. It was true. That old coach could still run. He was the reason why I had won some of the state championships.

"Now, why are you here?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. "Is there anything that you need me to do?"

Bellie shook her head. "Marisol is almost here. I thought you should know, since she is your charge."

I nodded my head, tossing the sponge into the soapy water. "All right," I said. I glanced at Addy. "Come on, Adds. Let's go meet this new person. When we get done, then we'll come back and get the rest of this stuff done, all right?"

Addy nodded her head and placed the rag over the saddle. She stood, clenching and unclenching her hands, grimacing a little.

"I know," I said. "It hurts, doesn't it?"

"Yet, you still do it anyways." She frowned a bit, glancing where my other arm should be. "I-"

"Now, don't you start also, Bellie. I don't care what you say. I'm going to still work hard, even if I have an unexisting arm."

Bellie glanced at Addy. "And, that's why I'm putting this new girl with him." She nodded her head before heading out.

I frowned a little. "Is she not telling me something?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. "I mean, I'm sure that she told you about me."

Addy nodded her head. 'She did,' she signaled. 'She doesn't want me to tell you. You need to ask her.'

I frowned, not liking that she was keeping secrets from me. "Just like with my sister." I stuck my tongue out at Bellie's back before following her out of the tack room. I glanced at Addy, seeing her "giggle". "Not funny."

Addy shrugged her shoulder, still grinning.

I shook my head at her, smiling slightly. Bellie was right, I was still good with kids.

***

"No, I will not get out of this fucking car!" someone yelled.

"Marisol! Watch your language. There are children around," another female said, sounding stressed.

"Listen to your mother, and get out of the fucking car!" a male exclaimed, angrily.

"Andrew," the mother scowled. "You don't start with your cussing, either."

"Maybe we should wait until Ryder comes. He'll be able to help," Anna said, cueing me to hurry.

Quickly, I walked over there, staying silent. My right leg had started to hurt worse, so I was limping a little.

"I won't wait for some kid to try and get my daughter out! I'm getting her out right now!" the male, Andrew, said.

"No! No! Let me go!" the young girl yelled.

I had finally made it to where I could see the group. The male, I'm thinking that's the girl's father was trying to get her out of the car. The girl was struggling against her father, while the mother was standing there, looking as if she was a distressed hen. Bellie, was just frowning, folding her arms across her chest.

"Let her go," I said, making all three of them stop moving and look at me.

The male, a burly person, standing about 5'6 stood up from the car. He had short black hair and a walrus mustache on his face. His brown eyes were narrowed in slits. "And who's telling me?"

I stood in front of him, frowning slightly. "Me," I replied.

He glanced me up and down and snorted when he saw where an arm should be. "Oh really?" he asked. "But you have one arm. How do you think you can move me?"

I smirked. "Sir, I am going to say this once. Don't test me. I know what that girl is going through, so move out of the way, now."

Something in my voice seemed to affect him, because he moved out of the way. He stared at me wide eyed, and I could see a bit of fear in them.

I hid a shake of my head and limped to the car, hiding the pain that I was feeling. Silently, I knelt down and looked at the shaking girl.