Chapter 12 (Edited)

A frown appeared on my face as I studied her, the girl, Marisol. She had brown hair that was curly at the ends. She has that face of an angel, making me want to make a corny joke, but I was being watched. Her gray eyes looked ahead, and I knew that she couldn't see me or anything. There was a small scar on her temple, and I knew that the scar was the reason why she was blind.

I cleared my throat, making her turn her head towards me. It looked like that she was looking straight at me, but I knew that was not the case. Her head was cocked, as if she was trying to figure out where I was at and how close I was from her.

"I'm Captain Ryder J. Castille, and I will be working with you, during your time here."

She snorted and rolled her eyes, folding her arms across her chest. "You didn't pick me," she spat, glaring at me, again making me think that she could see me. "So, I don't want to work with you or anyone else here. On that note, leave me alone."

I rolled my eyes, knowing what she was thinking. "You think that there is nothing wrong with me, don't you?" I asked, bitterly. I snorted and shook my head, before holding out my hand for her to take. "Hand me over your hand, and I'll show you how wrong you are."

Her eyes widened in shock before a hard mask was placed on her face. "You're just trying to trick me. You'll pull me out of the car."

"Like hell-" I glared at the father, shutting him up.

"Please, let me handle this. I know what she is going through, and I probably had it a little worse." I turned to look at her. "I won't pull you out of the car. With me, you'll have to learn how to do stuff on your own. But, for now, hold out your hand."

Marisol hesitated, but she held out her hand. "Just... don't do anything stupid. I-I'll slap you if you do."

I smirked and took her hand. "There is a reason why I say that I'm suffering worse than you." I moved her hand to where my left arm should be. I could see the shock on her face, as she moved her hand around. "Not only did I loose my left arm, my right leg has been shot with a bullet. A part of the bullet is still in my leg, because they couldn't remove it. That causes me to limp. I'm also suffering from PTSD, which means Post Traumatic Stress Disorder." I took a deep breath, still hearing the shouts of my fallen comrades, and the bullets raining down upon us. "I was infirmary for about a couple of years. After that, it was six months of excruciating physical therapy, trying to get me back on my feet. However, I had gotten so depressed, knowing that I wouldn't be able to ride again."

"Then, why are you here?" Marisol asked.

"Well, one of my commanders gave me a project horse. I had to train her and get her to trust humans again. I was not going to do it, but that was before I had looked at her and saw me in her eyes. For three years, we healed each other until I could return home. However, I just stayed in Florida, knowing that the person that I cared about the most, needed to find someone else." I glanced at Anna when I said that before looking back at the young female. "That was before I had gotten an order to come back here and help settling the horse in. I was given a month to help out." I glanced at the parents. "Why don't we give you a month also? If you don't like it, then you don't have to stay here and finish the program." I glanced at her. "How does that sound?"

Marisol frowned. "Does that mean I have to get out of the car?"

I moved away from the car door, my knee buckling a bit from kneeling down too much. I leaned against the car door and moved behind it. "And you have to get out of the car on your own."

Marisol frowned. "But, I can't see," she replied. "How I am supposed to get out?"

"You figure that out on your own. You want people to leave you alone and not baby you, right?"

"Right..."

"Then you have to take the initiative of doing stuff on your own."

"But you can see," she muttered swinging her legs out of the car. She clutched the door and started to pull herself out of the car. I had a hold of the door so that it wouldn't close on her. She stood up and looked towards my voice. "What now?"

"Find your mother." I glanced at the woman and shook my head, as she started to go in front of her daughter. "You have to go find her. She can say a couple of words, letting you know where she is at."

"That's-"

"A good idea, Andrew," the mother said, interrupting her husband. "She needs this, Hun. It's to help her."

Marisol had started to walk towards her mother, looking at her with unseen eyes. Her hands were outstretched, trying to feel her way.

"You got it, Marisol," the mother said. She took a deep breath and cleared her throat. "You are close." She didn't reach out for her daughter but stood tall.

The male was silent, watching everything. There was a frown on his, making me believe that he was the one that wanted to baby her.

Marisol reached her mother and touched her arm. She turned towards me, a triumphant grin on her face.

"I knew that you could do it." I glanced at Anna and then the mother. "Why don't you two take Marisol to her room or show her around. Tell her about anything that might get in her way. Marisol, we'll talk about what we want you to do after your father and I had discussed some things and get the bags taken."

Anna nodded her head. "She's in room 136 in the Melia Building" A smile was on her face, before she and Marisol's mother guided Marisol away, talking about stuff.

I shook my head, knowing that it was because of my sister that she had named the building Melia. A deep ache was in my heart, and I wished that there was a way that I could see my baby sister again. Even if it was just for a little while.