Chapter 2 (Edited)

"I'm sorry to burst your bubble, Captain, but a lot of people with amputees are still living," the male beside him said. "And Major General Patrickson, Sir," he said, letting me have a break with saluting. "I was one of the ones that had evaluated you, after the cops had came to talk about the... family issues."

"Most of them have a family, Major General, Sir," I replied nodding my head to show him that I did remember him. "And they didn't have to deal with a bastard that killed his daughter, while the oldest, which is me, was on duty."

Private Ward shuffled on his feet a little when he heard what I said. "What happened, Sir?" he asked his voice soft.

"For right now, Private, that is classified. We are not asking about his past," Major General Patrickson said with a bark. He looked at me. "Put on a shirt, please. I thought you learned better than that."

I saluted him. "Yes, Major General, Sir," I said as I went to my room. "Help yourself to anything in the fridge. There's not much in there since I didn't go out yesterday. Or you can have a seat."

I walked into my room and then into the closet turning on the lights. I looked at my button up shirts and chose a blue one. The only reason that I only use button up shirts was that I could do it by myself.

"You would have made a good General, Captain. You have the guts to do what is right," Major General said as I came out of the room buttoning up my shirt.

"Well, I hope it wouldn't have been for my witty comments," I replied innocently. I looked at him, making my eyes wide a little. One thing I learned, was if you get the high ranking officer to laugh or tease back, then they might make your life easier. However, that worked to those who haven't been in the Army that long or are just plain bored.

Major General Patrickson had to keep a smile from appearing on his face. A small scowl appeared, as he stayed collected. "I sure hope it wouldn't," he replied. "Sit, we have business to discuss and Private Ward needs to get back to base."

I nodded my head and sat down on one of the seats that I had brought in from the kitchen. "Yes Sir?" I asked.

"Do you remember the mare that you have helped out? Ummm didn't you name her Let something?" Major General Patrickson asked.

"Let Liberty Ring," I replied, remembering the Black Overo Female Paint that I have helped. "Yes, I remember her. She was the one that helped me get through my disability of not being able to ride right anymore." I paused, clearing my throat. "I trained her so that she would be able to be ridden one handed, leg reining, and then just small taps on the body, where she has to learn what they mean."

Major General nodded his head. He reached inside his jacket and pulled out a manila envelope, handing it out to me. "A place up in Montana wants to have her brought up there for trial."

I took the manila envelope in my hand and placed it between my knees. "Trial for what?" I asked not opening it just yet. I watched him, not knowing if it was the same that I had been for almost 18 years or if it was another place around there. Hopefully, it was the place that I had been for a long time.

"It's in the brochure," Major General replied not giving out any information. He looked at me, knowledge in his eyes. I guess he knew what was going to happen.

I bit back a sigh and nodded my head. "Sir, yes, sir," I said as I placed envelope in my lap so that I could open it. I bit my lip a little as I opened the manila folder and pulled out the brochure.

~*Welcome to Blue Ridge Valley Stables*~ It read. My heart skipped a beat as I read the title again and saw the same title.

Pictures of horses running on an open terrain made my heart skip a beat again, but this time with yearning. I could still hear horses whinnying as they ran in a herd. Freedom for them was their friend, until someone came and placed a halter of over their head. I could still smell the freshness of pines and flowers.