Chapter 23

Lay :

It's been a month and everything is going great. Christmas is exactly a week away and the first semester of school has come to an end. Today is the last day before Christmas break and prom will be the third week of January. Tony and I have already had plans on going to prom together. This past month has been amazing for me. I'm on good terms with my best friend, I no longer have to worry about these hatin' hoes and I have an amazing boyfriend to go to when I need someone to call on. My life has just been absolutely amazing.

"So, what you doing for Christmas? I know you and Tony going to be spendin' time together.", Bambi said.

"You know how that shit go, but I'm probably going to spend most of that day with my mom and sister.", I replied with all honesty. I always spend holidays with family, no matter what.

"Christmas not going to be the same without Jamir. He was the one who got up and woke everybody up early in the morning, convinced my mom to make food and bothered me about never getting a kiss under the mistletoe.", she said with her head down. I took a sip from my frappé and gave her a look of sympathy.

"It's okay, he'll be there spiritually, just not physically.", I said. She gave me a smile which let me know that I had said the right thing.

We drove to DSW so we could look at shoes and try to prep for prom. We were going to Orlando next weekend to buy our dresses, so we decided to look at shoes so the dress shopping could go a little easier when we get there.

"I want to be exotic this year, try something simple, but eye popping because I know everybody is going to go all out with long sparkly dresses.", Bambi said. She picked up some black, bejeweled, peek toe Giuseppe Zanotti heels.

"And these are fye.", she said while holding them up and admiring how they glisten in the light. I picked up some nude, peek toe, Christian Louboutin heels with a gold bow on top.

"Those are, but these are better.", I said. Heels with eye catching colors compliment my fair skin tone. Bambi chooses to go for deep, dark colors, but I always felt white complimented her melanin.

We looked around for another hour or so and then headed back to her house.

"Hey pops!", I yelled as we walked into her townhouse.

"Hey Alayah.", he said while walking up and hugging me. Bambi's house was like my second home, and with my dad not being in my life. I was happy to have him as someone to go to and look up to as a fatherly figure.

"So, how's it goin'? How have you been?", I asked him as we settled on the couch. Bambi walked up stares, I assume she was going up to her room to change clothes.

"Well, it's goin'. I had to leave my surgery early, so after Christmas, I'll be going back so I can be discharged before y'all graduation in May.", he said with a smile.

"Surgery? Why wasn't I told about this?"

"I thought Jamerica would have told you. I have to get this machine removed out of my back. It's no longer needed."

"That's great pops.", I said with a genuine smile. It was good to know he's getting better after they've been through so many rough years.

After sitting and talking with him for a few minutes more, I went upstairs to Jamerica's room. She was sitting on her bed, with her knees pulled up to her chest and eating a pop tart. She had changed into some black spandex and a sports bra. I kicked off my Jordan Futures and went to go sit on her bed. She started to fumble with her hands and I could tell something was bothering her.

"What's wrong?", I asked her.

"I just wonder if he thinks about me still. I mean, it's been a month since we talked. I never catch him staring, so I assume that I've been forgotten about.", she said while holding her head in her hands. Every since the break up with BJ, I could sense the change in her personality. She doesn't eat lunch with Tony and I anymore, most of her smiles are fake, she's drifting away slowly, and I hate it.