Chapter 28~ The name

[TORCHWOOD UNDERGROUND BASE]

Where first was nothing more than emptiness, suddenly appeared a giant creature. It was red, with tentacles as hands and eight legs, looking similar to a big crab mixed with a spider, snarling and growling. Melody's mouth fell open a little when, in her mind, as always from nowhere, appeared the name of the creature.

The Doctor seemed to be surprised too «The Racnoss...» he muttered, wide eyes. «...but that's impossible, you're one of the Racnoss!»

«Empress of the Racnoss.» it corrected.

Elsewhere in the base, Lance climbed up the ladder and through another corridor, unnoticed.

«If you're the Empress, where's the rest of the Racnoss?» the Doctor asked.

«Or...» Melody gulped, stepping slightly further. «Are you the only one?» she asked, saddened slightly.

«Such a sharp mind.» The Empress hissed, sarcastically, and Melody could've bet she would've clapped if she would've had hands.

«That's it, the last of your kind.» the Doctor by Melody's side said. He then bent slightly to be closer to Donna and explained «The Racnoss come from the Dark Times, billions of years ago, billions. They were carnivores, omnivores, they devoured whole planets.»

Melody's eyes were suck on a point, on the ceiling. The Empress suddenly growled «Racnoss are born starving, is that our fault?»

«They eat people?» Donna asked.

The Doctor was about to replay here when «H C Clements, did he wear those... those erm, black and white shoes?» Melody interrupted, her eyes still fixed on the ceiling.

«He did! We used to laugh, we used to call him the fat cat in spats.»

Melody nodded then pointed to a web on the ceiling, the Doctor and Donna following her gaze. A pair of black and white shoes were still attached to the unfortunate H C Clements, slightly poking out.

«Oh, my God!» Donna muttered.

«Mm, my Christmas dinner.» the Empress cackled. Melody suddenly clenched her fists and her jaw tightly, her brows frowned in anger. The pity she felt before when she found out the Empress was the last of her kind, vanishing like it never existed, replaced by a dead glare.

The Doctor wasn't happy either, but still surprised «You shouldn't even exist! Way back in history, the Fledgling Empires went to war against the Racnoss, they were wiped out.»

Behind the Empress Lance appeared on a balcony above her, unbeknownst. Donna spotted him and Lance motioned for her to stay silent.

«Except for me.» the Empress replayed to the Doctor.

«But that's what I've got inside me, that Huon energy thing.» Donna tried to distract her. She suddenly went to turn around «Oi! Look at me, lady, I'm talking.» Donna captured her attention again «Where do I fit in? How comes I get all stacked up with these Huon particles?»

Meanwhile Lance descended the stairs, axe at the ready.

«Look at me, you! Look me in the eye and tell me.» Donna said.