Jaadu ki jhappi (A magical embrace)

"It was my first party after returning to India. I didn't know what to expect. I was in for a surprise. But I am glad I went to the party. Otherwise I would not have found my new best friend." Alisha said and embraced Rutt. Rutt made an 'aww' face and reciprocated.

Malvika emerged out with drinks but before she could keep the tray down Alisha hugged her from behind. Rutt chuckled. Malvika smiled and said, "Jaadu ki jhappi! What is happening?"

Alisha who was in her element kept holding Malvika and said, "Thank you...for gracing my life with your lovely presence." Everyone was in splits.

We were all at Rutt's apartment after spending the whole day shopping. Malvika has moved in with Rutt few days ago. Though she was here but she never infringed our privacy whenever I was here.

As promised to Rutt I had to drop off Alisha to her apartment. So, I took a bath in her apartment and walked back to the living room where all the girls were enjoying their drinks and having fun chatting.

"...everyone in your group is equally awesome." Alisha was saying when I walked in. "I am glad to meet you all."

Alisha saw me coming and rushed to me and hugged me. "Jaadu ki jhappi," she said gladly in her accented tone. I stood there dazed and confused. I looked at Rutt who was laughing incessantly. What is going on, I wondered. I resisted the hug but she was holding me tight.

"Isn't she great and super friendly?" Rutt said to me, smiling. I faked a smile as I was getting uncomfortable in her grip. I pushed her slightly to get her hands off me. Alisha's face dropped at once. Smiled wiped off Rutt's face. Malvika looked at Rutt in utter surprise.

Rutt and Malvika were definitely sure I was uncomfortable around Alisha. They surrounded me as soon as Alisha left the room to go the toilet. "What's your deal with Alisha?" Rutt asked.

"Deal?" I made an I-don't-know-what-you're-talking-about face and chuckled. "Why do you say that?"

"Mohit, I can see it. You look uncomfortable around Alisha." Rutt added.

"Am I?" I shrugged the comment off.

"Even I can see it. We both can't be wrong," Malvika pitched in.

I knew there was no escape now. I felt like the prey that is being surrounded by two cats with big claws. I thought hard to come up with a convincing reply. I was in deep trouble. I turned my back to them and took a few steps forward.

Alisha was very nice, caring, amiable and helpful. Rutt and Malvika were all praises for her. I couldn't even find a single flaw in her to use it against her.

What should I do?

I heard footsteps moving closer to me and I panicked. I didn't know what to say. I turned to them and found Rutt standing right in front of me. "I-I don't know...w-well... may be because she is half British." I blurted out, in panic. It was the only reason I could think of at that time.

Rutt and Malvika both frowned at me. I feigned sadness to buy some time to think of the supporting story.

"You both won't believe it..." I said few seconds later. "...but my great grand father and grandfather were killed by British during the freedom movement."

Rutt cupped her mouth with her hand in shock. "I am sorry," she said.

***

"Rutt is such a nice girl. I am so happy for you both." Alisha said, smiling.

I was driving Alisha to her apartment. I nodded my head in appreciation but preferred not to speak. Alisha kept on talking and asked many questions but I was not in mood for a conversation. Alisha was getting upset now.