God bless America!

Rutt

As a kid I would get immensely excited just by watching an airplane pass over my head. When my father took me to the airport for my first flight I was extremely happy. As the plane rose above the clouds I was on cloud nine. I was so excited that I couldn't keep my ass down the whole journey. I moved from one seat to another, noticing the inside of the plane inch by inch, looking out the window, and even checking the bathroom and wondering if I would pee will it go down as rain.

Today I might not be as excited as I was then, but I still love flying. I look forward to it. It's getting to the airport that I get nervous about. In a city as crowed as Delhi getting to the airport in time could be a tough ask. If you miss that plane, there's no alternative. On the ground you have options. You have buses, you have taxis, and you have trains. But if you are taking a flight and you miss it; that's it. No airline announces, "Well, you missed your flight. We do have a hot air balloon leaving in about ten minutes. Would you be interested in that? It's will take 4 day at most and landing might get little discomforting. If still interested, check in."

So, given my fear of missing my flight, I reached Delhi International Airport early by four hour to catch my flight. I was accompanied by Mohit and Malvika. Alisha and Aman also came to the airport to bid me goodbye which was very sweet of them, but I was like 'c'mon I am going away for only 15 days'. What surprised me the most was seeing Aman and Alisha coming together.

******

For the first time in my life I didn't care about people around me. I got on my toes, closed my eyes, and kissed Mohit for long two minutes. "And that's how much I love you," I said, smiling sheepishly after my first kiss in public.

We were near the departure gate of Delhi International Airport and there were God knows how many random eyes glaring at us. Alright, I admit, I was not open to the idea of kissing in public, but when the thought of not kissing Mohit for the more than next 2 weeks engulfed me, I involuntarily gave in. And the next thing I knew of was my lips were locked with his lips. I wanted his sweet taste on my lips for the last time before leaving. I wanted to savor this memory to get me going for next 15 days.

His first reaction was kinda cute; his face looked surprised with his eyes beaming at me. But he soon blinked and a naughty grin spread across his face. "Is that all?" he teased.

I pursed my lips to suppress my smile. I then twisted my nose and punched him lightly on his chest to which he gave out an exaggerated 'ouch'. He took me in his warm embrace, holding me close. His face decorated with an adorable smile.

"Stupid..." I whispered in his ears and exuded a whole hearted smile.

"I am gonna miss you so much," he asserted, tightening his grip.

"I am gonna miss you too," I reciprocated, resting my head on his strong shoulder.

We stood there for a while embracing each other.

******

I kept the magazine I was flicking through down on my lap and looked at the giant ass dropping into the seat next to me.

"If God had meant us to fly, he'd have given us wings!" auntie was speaking on the phone.

He has! They're steel and you can see them if you look out the window. I smiled to myself.

I studied her. Beautifully done hair bun, nicely plucked eye brows, well outlined eyes, minimal make-up and no excess jewellery. She looked in her mid forties and she had still got it. 'Abhi bhi hai jawani, thodi si hai purani'- This line suited her down to earth. Only flaw I noticed in her overall appearance was the excess fat around her waist and hips. If you ignore that she looked no less beautiful than any of the yesteryear actresses.