Chapter-40

Arjun

I couldn't believe I was marrying the girl I fell in love with at first sight. I was extremely delighted and couldn't wait to be with her. I dialed her number but cut the call after I heard my mom shouting my name again and again. "Arjun, look who is here," my mom yelled again.

I rushed downstairs to the living room. I could hear my mom talking to a lady who had her back towards me. They were having a good laugh. I don't know what is there about the shaddiwala house that everybody seems to enjoy themselves. "Jab se shaadi fix hui hai sunna hi chhod diya hai isne. Abhi se yeah haal hai toh shaadi ke baad kya hoga?" My mom's words forced the lady and other aunties to laugh. "Look the prince finally came down. You are so lucky." My mom added with a chuckle. The lady turned and surprised me. "Sushma auntie!" I shouted in joy. "It is so nice to see you." I bent down to touch her feet; she pulled me up and took me in an embrace. "I am so happy for you." She said and gave a motherly kiss on my forehead.

After we all settled down, my mom asked Sushma auntie. "Where is Mohit? I haven't seen him in ages."

"You know how busy these software professional are these days. I told him many times to apply for government jobs but he never listens to me." Sushma auntie replied.

"You must have talked to Mohit. When is he coming?" auntie asked looking at me.

"Me?" I said in surprise. "Yes...I, um, talked to him. He said he was busy but he assured he will join us soon."

I had to lie to Sushma auntie because I couldn't tell her that Mohit and I were not friends anymore. In fact we had not talked or seen each other in like 12 years.

I wonder how he looks like today. I will have to find him and sort out the issues between us. It's been so many years to hold the grudges. We are not kids anymore. It is time to bury the hatchet and act like adults.

"Woh sab toh theek hai beta...why don't you show me your marriage invitation card?" Sushma auntie asked me.

Apparently we sent the invitation card to the Banglore address where she used to live with Mohit's elder brother, Rohit bhaiya. And when mom called her we came to know she was in Rishikesh. She came from Rishikesh directly to Delhi to attend the celebration.

"Sure auntie...I'll get it right away." I replied and marched upstairs to collect the card.

***

Mohit

We met in the CCD lounge. I ordered a regular latte and Alisha ordered her favourite cappuccino. The place was peaceful but it did not help as my head was messed up with too much of thinking. Why did she call me here on such a short notice? I looked up and found her looking at me. "So, what was the important thing you wanted to tell me?" I asked her.

She looked down and started at her coffee for a while. "I can't do this anymore, Mohit."

She paused for a moment. "You know how I feel for you, right?" she asked me.

I nodded my head. "I guess." I was not sure what else to say.

"I can't pretend to be your friend anymore." She stopped and ran her fingers through her hair. "I mean I can be your friend but not like a regular friend. You know what I mean."

I scratched my head in confusion. "I am afraid not."

"I love you, God dammit!" she said and flared her nostril in anger. "I can be your friend but I want to be your lover first."

I knew it was coming. My mom warned me about it.

"I had lost too many friends in my life and I could not afford to lose another friend," I told her.