The choice

Mohit

Today was the toughest day of my entire life. I never thought my life will come to a point where I have to choose between someone whom I love and someone who loves me.

Yes, I had to choose between Rutt and Alisha.

To top that I didn't had much time to make the decision as Rutt was getting married tonight and Alisha was leaving for the London the same time.

Sometimes the hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which one to burn. I obviously loved Rutt to the core but I wasn't sure she loved me anymore. On the other hand Alisha loved me and a part of me loved her too.

I had no idea how I will manage to convince Rutt that she belongs with me if I choose her. But my mom's words kept ringing in my head-fight for what you want as it is the true purpose of life. Choosing Alisha was the easy option for they always say be with the one who is chasing you than the one you are after. It has its advantages. The one who's chasing you always cares more for the relationship as it means more for him/her to be with you than it means to you. Since you care less you have the upper hand in the relationship.

I checked the clock again. It was 6:30 am in the morning. I couldn't sleep the whole night as my mind didn't stop for a single moment; it just kept shuttling between Rutt and Alisha. I sat up and gazed at the blank wall in front of me.

I have to choose between Rutt and Alisha before I get off this bed.

But how? Shall I flip a coin? Or should I make two slips, write their names, and pick one?

I can't let the luck decide my future.

What shall I do then?

My brain was overloaded with thoughts.

Oh God, I will go crazy!

I cupped my face with my hands and tried to clear my head for a moment so that I could think straight.

Finally, I decided to listen to my heart.

This is it. This is going to be my final decision.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. My mind slowed down and it took me a while to freeze my ongoing thoughts. As the seconds passed ticking away a picture started forming slowly but steadily in my mind more or less similar to when you download a high resolution picture with a slow internet connection.

A minute later the picture was complete.

***

I rushed to the Dinesh's place as he was the only person who could help me out. I pulled over when I saw him standing in the balcony of his apartment. I stepped out of the car and called Dinesh. He looked around when he heard me shouting his name. I waved at him.

"I need to talk to you." I shouted. "It is urgent!"

He glanced down from his balcony, throwing me confused looks.

"What?" He shouted back.

I couldn't hear him properly as it was very noisy down there. "Wait. I'll come over." I yelled to him.

He obviously did not hear me. "You wait there...I'm coming down."

His words were beyond comprehension for me. As I didn't have time for this game, I ran for the lift.

The lift was engaged. I chose to climb the stairs.

The apartment's door was open and Dinesh was nowhere to be seen. I walked to the balcony. I looked down on the road and saw him looking around for me near my parked car.