My best friend's wedding-1

Mohit

The little girl ran in shouting in sing song voice, "Baraat aa gayi! Baraat aa gayi!"

Everybody from the bride's side checked their bright and bold colored outfits for the one last time and gathered around the entrance of the venue to greet the groom and his procession. Two young and pretty girls holding kalash on their head negotiated through the crowd at the entrance and stood in the first row of closed family members to welcome the baraat.

The baraatis were dancing dressed in colorful dresses - including uncle and aunties. The people were not afraid to wear bright and vibrant colors. In fact brighter was better when it comes to Indian wedding. The funny thing about Indian people is that every one of us is a dancer. All one has to do is throw his/her hands in the air, and sway the hips back and forth, side to side; it'll look like you're having the time of your life.

I was parked few meters from the entrance. I showed my face to Simi aunty and drove ahead of the baraat in my car so that Arjun and others couldn't see me.

It was not my first Indian wedding invitation like few of Arjun's American friends, but I was more curious than them about what was going to happen tonight.

The groom arrived to the ceremony on a decorated white horse. Guests danced around him to beat of the dhol. Chintu bhaiya danced with few hundred rupee notes in his hand. The dholwalas saw the money and started beating the dhol faster. The baraatis shook their booties faster to match the beats of the dhol. Some uncle took out few five hundred notes from his pocket. The dholwalas went crazy and played the dhols with rising enthusiasm. The baraat was getting crazier matching to the beats. Everyone was eyeing the uncle to give the money to the dholwalas so that he can beat the dhol at a danceable pace.

On the other side Rutt's family was waiting impatiently at the entrance to greet the groom and his baraat, with a pooja thaal and floral garlands. Also, the two girls holding the kalash on their head looked at the baraat eagerly so that they can get done with the kalash thing.

It was a grand affair, exactly what Indian weddings were known for. The gorgeous decoration strewn everywhere; it all looked good to me until my eyes fell on the 'Arjun weds Rutt' red colored board near the entrance.

Where the hell are Aman and Dinesh?

Baraat had reached the venue, a big farmhouse, but still there was no sign of my partners in crime; Aman and Dinesh. Two young men, few years younger to me, walked past me in a hurry, and went straight to the white horse and helped the groom to get off the horse before lifting him on their strong shoulders. They didn't let the groom put his foot down on earth and took him near the entrance. The bride's mother greeted the groom with a welcoming ritual. After that they escorted the groom inside to his seat. The baraat followed the groom. The bride's family made way for the groom's baraat and put the garland around the necks of the entire baraatis to symbolize their acceptance of each other.

As I tried to slip in a young and beautiful girl dressed in emerald green sari with golden work on it put a marigold garland around my neck. I checked her out. She noticed and blushed. I thought of stopping and telling her how beautiful she looked in that sari and flirting with her a bit but today was not the right time for it. Though I had a license for it as I was single but I had more important things to do tonight.

***

.

Dinesh

"Dave!"