Old Of Age

As they walked deeper and deeper into the spirit world Stiles noticed it had started to get darker and darker around them

The grass under their feet that once was a bright green now had gone dry and dead underneath their feet. The trees were deadened and darker. Even what looked like the sky reflecting the real world was now dark, dark clouds road the sky overhead.

Kyle looked more grim as they walked glancing around, he looked a little paler. He noticed Malia and Stiles were also looking around, staying closer together, looking uncomfortable.

"This is where the dark spirits come to rest. It's where we'll go when we die. We're trickster spirits, dark spirits" He said slowly.

"How's that fair?" Stiles demanded.

"Life isn't fair, what makes you think the after life would be fair either?" Kyle pointed out.

Stiles frowned but he nodded anyway, Kyle did have a point but he wondered "What about the spirits of werewolves?"

"Nature spirits. They get to rest in the surroundings we saw when we first got here"

The were-fox couldn't help but feel a spike of jealousy at that.

Kyle added, just to give them more information "Human spirits don't come here"

"Where do they go?" Malia asked.

Kyle shrugged "I don't know"

"Heaven maybe?" Stiles asked wistfully.

"Maybe. I'd like that" Kyle said softly. 

Stiles agreed, thinking of his mother. He was sure Kyle was thinking of his mother somewhere in the spirit world by how pale he looked.

They walked on in silence.

Stiles was about to ask how they would find the giant owl but stopped as Kyle and Malia halted. He saw why they had so suddenly stopped.

A cave stood before them but to the right of the cave, a throne, made from roots and bark, though it was huge and the mystic carvings sketched into the throne made it look more ancient and mysterious. 

The dark fox took a breath in, trying to relax himself "We're here"

"How?" Malia asked, eyes wide. 

"It must be really old. The longer you live before coming here, the better your spirit gets treated" Kyle added "It showed us the way. It wants us here. It wants me to give up my life to it"

"And...you're not going to do that, are you?" Stiles asked slowly.

The dark fox stepped forward. 

"No, I'm not. I'm going to do what everyone who ever wants to get out of a the spirit realm's clutches does. If we win, it leaves and we get to live, if we lose..." 

He gave Stiles and Malia a slight smirk.

Stiles didn't ask what happened if they lost, he had a feeling he knew the answer and he didn't like it one bit.

"What are we going to do?" Malia asked Kyle.

He glanced at them, wondering why they decided to stick with him but he was glad for it.

Kyle looked up at the cave, he could only see darkness but he knew it was in there, somewhere.

He shouted, loud and defiant "Kikiyaon, I challenge you!"

Deep dark inside the cave, a pair of haunting eyes snapped open.

Its beak and talons were bloody.

Its eyes glowed.

The Kikiyaon was awake.

And it was ready to meet the Nogitsune's challenge. 

The fox and its family could not live for how it had offended the spirit world. Spirits could not be brought back from the dead. Should not be. It was an insult, a offence and the spirit realm called for the fox's blood and life in payment.

And the Kikiyaon was happy to obey.

Sorry this wasn't that long but the big fight is next chapter! And there are only four or five more chapters until this story ends. Hope you have enjoyed this story so far! It's been a pleasure writing it!