Chapter 29

Okay I do just want to warn you guys that the first paragraph of this may be kind of graphic and upsetting for some people so please don't feel obliged to read it. I don't want you to miss any of the story though so I'll make it clear when the trigger part is over. But it is only the first couple of paragraphs.

Percy's POV

You would think that by the age of seventeen, nightmares wouldn't be an issue. But believe me, they were still as terrifying as they were at the age of four. This particular nightmare was quite honestly one of the most disturbing dreams I'd ever had.  

It started out like most of my childhood nightmares. Me crying as Gabe beat the shit out of me while my mom watched on, unable to do anything because she was already bloodied and crying on the kitchen floor. All this was pretty routine for me, but still every single punch burned like it was the first time it had happened all those years ago. I didn't scream like I used to though, I'd learnt screaming just made it worse and it absolutely killed my mom. So I just lay there taking it, letting my tears fall without noise. When suddenly, it stopped. Instantly alarm bells started to ring. He never stopped halfway through. Hesitantly, I looked up. I wished I hadn't. His face was split in a disgusting smile, showcasing his sickeningly yellow and crooked teeth. A cruel, devious glint darkened  his muddy brown eyes and my breath catch with fear. Fear that grew when he started walk away from me and towards the sleeping form on the couch. Tyson. 

It was completely irrational of course, Gabe didn't even know who Tyson was. But that didn't stop the bile rising in my throat as he grabbed my brother's arm and dragged him off the couch. His face crunched against the floor instantly turning my blood to ice. I stood from the floor, all pain and fatigue gone, and ran over to where he was laying. His eyes flicked upwards. They were filled with fear. 

(Graphic/upsetting/ trigger over now)

"Get away from me, don't touch me!" His voice broke as he screamed, sounding exactly like mine used to. I looked around quickly to see where the monster had gone,  but saw no sign of him. But Tyson's eyes were still filled with fear. I reached towards him, trying to help him up but he flinched and scurried backwards. Suddenly, we were in the hallway where Tyson fell, right on the edge of the stairs. Not again, I couldn't do this again. I stepped forward to stop him, but it was too late. He'd already fallen. And again, I had no reaction to his fall. I just watched it happen.

I just happened to glance down at myself for a second. My clothes had transformed into a greasy, stained vest and disgusting grey sweatpants. My gut had grown considerably and my skin itched as though it hadn't been washed in months. I knew what was coming. That fact didn't make my reflection in the window any less sickening. I was Gabe. I was the monster.

I was yanked out of the dream by a shoving on my shoulder, which did make me freak out. It took me a moment to analyse the fact that I wasn't Gabe, Tyson wasn't here and it was Annabeth that woke me. Annabeth. I turned to see her wide eyed. She looked scared. I sat back down next to her, hands cradling my head. My throat was tight and my eyes stung with tears. Annabeth laid her hand on shoulder, which I knew was meant to comfort me but just made me flinch away. In that moment I hated Gabe, what he had done to me had left me broken. Unable to even be touched by the girl I liked without flinching away. No, that monster was gone. He couldn't control me anymore.

Annabeth said something which I didn't exactly hear. Instead of responding, I just held my arms out to her. She wrapped her arms around my neck and slipped onto my lap. I hated myself for it but the second my face was hidden I started crying again. Gods, I was such a child. It was no surprise Annabeth didn't want to talk about all the almost kisses, I was a mess. Especially compared to her. She was perfect in every way. I mean sure, she was beautiful. I could honestly say she was the most gorgeous girl I knew. But she was so much more. She was clever and witty and sharp and hilarious and cute and nerdy and heart breakingly adorable. She was perfect. Which is why I ended up staring at her after she asked me again what had happened.