Chapter 23

Percy's POV

"Hey."

A tiny voice came from directly behind me, giving me an actual heart attack. I jumped about a foot of the ground and stumbled into the bar stools which of course fell over. The light flicked on and my face burned as l realised it was Annabeth who had just seen my little performance.

"Oh gods. You actually just killed me. You're supposed to be wise, you should know not to creep up on vulnerable, half naked boys in the middle of the night." I smiled a little awkwardly as I realised I was in fact half naked. Lovely. She obviously noticed too as her eyes were fixed on my chest. Not going to lie, I was tensing a little. Her cheeks were a little pink but they grew to fully fledged red as she realised I knew she was staring.

"Um, well, I just wanted a drink. I didn't know you'd be here, or that you were, uh, you know." She gestured at my bare torso, still not making full eye contact. I turned around, grabbed my glass and filled it up for her. She grinned as I held it out towards her. She visibly relaxed, leaning against the counter and moving further into the room until she was a couple of metres away from me. She took a mouthful from the glass

"So, why are you half naked in Piper's kitchen?" She grinned widely and poked my chest. I poked her back, causing her water to slosh over the side of the glass. I got a glare for that.

"I was too hot. I didn't think I'd be bumping into anyone this late at night. Well early in the morning." I glanced at the clock, I'd been struggling to sleep for an hour.

"Well obviously I didn't either." She gestured down at her outfit, which I was only just noticing. I have no idea how I missed it earlier. She was wearing marvel shorts matched with a cropped vest top thingy that I didn't know the technical name of. All this was paired with my oversized hoodie she'd borrowed earlier. She honestly looked amazing. I didn't mean them too but my eyes lingered on her long, tanned legs. They were very distracting. A cough brought me from my trance, then it was my turn to blush.

"Were you just checking me out, Jackson?" She smirked at my embarrassed face.

"N-n-no, I was um just erm, yeah." I scratched the back of my neck, it was kind of a nervous thing I did, and smiled sheepishly. Gods I was an idiot. She laughed and placed her hand on my arm.

"You are such a seaweed brain. Can't even get a straight reply from you." Her hand was still on my arm, but it was further up. I had no reply. My skin burned where her hand was resting, actually burned. She probably just thought she was touching my arm but it was like fireworks exploding all over my bicep. I had actual goosebumps running down my arms. I looked down at her face. She was smirking, eyebrows raised my gormless expression.

"Hello? Anyone in there? Look I am in no way sleepy so can we go and watch tv in the lounge? You don't have to but that first movie kind of freaked me out." She laughed a little. I smiled as I remembered Annabeth's squeals when anything remotely scary happened.

"Really? It wasn't that scary but yep, I'll stay up with you. You baby." I winked at her and she slapped my arm and scowled adorably at me.

"I am not a baby. It was weird. I just didn't like it." She looked genuinely upset at it. Her eyes turned down and her hand fell away from my arm. My heart actually hurt.

"Hey, I'm sorry. It was pretty creepy. You're right, you're not a baby." My voice was soft, I felt bad for upsetting her even if I wasn't sure how I did. She still didn't respond so I reached towards her and pulled her arm a little. Her lips turned up in a slight smile as I pulled her in for a hug. She wrapped her arms around me, burying her face in my chest. I rested my chin on her head and held her close. I didn't even have to think about it, it was automatic. We stayed that way for five minutes, no one saying anything. Though, my hands could not keep still and kept twirling a piece of her hair around.She spoke up eventually.