Father's Gift

I entered the room I would be staying in at Linda's house. The room was for guests, and it was very old with a foul smell coming from the closet area. I saw bags packed next to my bed and realized my neighbors had packed everything for me & sent it to Linda's house. It was truly an act of kindness for them to have technically saved my mother's life, and even helped pack my things. I don't know if any of my neighbors took something of mines secretly, but that's not what mattered at the moment. I opened my bags and heard glass inside. I rummaged through the bag until I finally reached the glass object - the vase. I held it and admired its beauty, stroking the bottom of it gently. It looked so empty without water, so unwelcoming. I folded all of my clothes and opened the closet to put them away. There were ants at the bottom of the closet, surrounded by little crumbs of what appeared to be crackers. Whilst putting my clothes away, I heard a knock on my door. "Come in!" I yelled. Linda entered the room with a worried look on her face. "What's wrong?" I asked. 

"Carol and George didn't make it." she replied. I looked down, remembering how they had went from hostile to trying to save our lives. "The police are going to come and interview you tomorrow. Do you want to eat  before they get here?" Linda asked, excitedly. "What's with the happy tone in your voice?" I asked. "Well, I'm going to try to cook!" she replied, happily. I looked at her face and realized she was serious. She was actually going to cook. "We are in need of supplies, though." Linda replied. That's when I remembered. My father wanted to donate to Linda's family, but he didn't get the chance to. I was pretty sure he would split the money between me and my mother, that is, IF she allows me to keep some of the money. "Well, let's see how good you can be tomorrow morning." I uttered. "Alright, for now, we need to get some sleep. It's pretty late." Linda replied. We hugged and said our goodbyes. I dressed into my PJ's and laid down on the bed. It was pretty creaky, but it was far from uncomfortable. The mattress was hard, but the blanket and pillow felt like cotton. I laid on my side, closed my eyes, and went to sleep.

"What happened to George? How was he shot?". We were sitting in Linda's old-fashioned, brown couch. It was 12:23 PM, and a police officer was interviewing me. I sat in the very corner of the couch, where there was a very visible tear on the pillow. "My mother shot him. I don't think she meant to kill him." I replied, with an honest tone. "Well, George & Carol are both dead." the police officer said harshly. "I've heard.." I muttered. "Well, before death, your father already made plans with the money if he were to die." the police officer replied. I looked at him carefully. "What did he plan??" I asked, curiously. "He made plans to give you & your mother most of the funds, but he wanted to donate some funds to this family too." the police officer answered. I was surprised. My father had never told me he was going to donate to Linda's family! It was such a warm surprise! "Really??" I asked excitedly. "Correct. When your mother comes out of the hospital, the funds will be received." he added. Linda peeked around the corner, along with her mom as they both cooked in the kitchen. It was a moment of such delight, knowing my dad was ready for what was coming. But why was he ready? What was he ready for? Did he know something would happen?

After the police officers left, I found myself discussing some pretty interesting topics with Linda as she attempted to cook spaghetti. "See? Something good always comes out of something bad." Linda said, happily. "You got that right." I replied. Linda's mother walked into the kitchen. "Hey, kids, I heard that there's currently a movement that's going to go against Shattered Eyes. Y'all want to join up?" she asked. I turned to Linda, and we both looked at eachother, speechless. "I'm guessing that's a maybe?" her mother continued. "We'll think about it, ma'am. Thanks." I replied. She walked back into the living room quickly. I turned back to Linda. "Well, I mean," she started,"it's pretty clear that we want to join, right?" I thought about it carefully. If I joined this movement, I could probably accomplish my desires to end Shattered Eyes's habits. "I'll have to ask my mother about this." I replied. Linda's mother came into the kitchen in a pretty fast pace. "Alright Harry, let's go see your mother." she said quickly. "Oh, right!" I jumped. I went to my room, put a sweater on, and took a deep breath. I stepped out of my room, and I was ready.