Golden Candles

"But I can't tell you it here, let's go home and talk about it." my mother said in a worried tone. I looked over at Linda. "Harry, I'm fine. Brad was taken to the ER by paramedics, but he'll be back at the movement's structure eventually. Patricia is dead, though." Linda explained. A tear formed in my eye. I knew Patricia wouldn't make it. "I know.." I sobbed. I hugged Linda, and it felt like one of the warmest & longest hugs we've ever had. We exited the police station and began heading to my house. "My mother is waiting for us on the other side." Linda explained. We walked over to Linda's car and stepped inside. "Your car is still over there, hun." Linda's mother explained to my mother. "Take us there, please." my mother asked. We went back to the cemetery to pick up our car. Eventually, we ended up passing the crime scene, where police & paramedics were all over the place. When we made it to our car, we said our goodbyes to Linda & her mother, and stepped outside the car. We headed quickly to our car, unlocked it, and got inside. "Glad we're all okay." my mother explained.

We drove to our house and eventually, we made it. As I entered the house, nothing felt the same anymore. "Have a seat, Harry." my mother commanded. I sat down on our couch and she sat next to me. She took a deep breath, exhaled, and looked at me. "Your father has had a history with the Shattered Eye." my mother explained. I sighed. "Yea, I've heard.." I replied. She held my left hand, softly, and continued. "Your father was a good man.. and he reported the gang the Shattered Eye had set up in the past to the police to protect the Golden Candles." That caught my attention. "Who are the Golden Candles?" I asked, curiously. "Your father is a Golden Candle, and his family are Golden Candles. Golden Candles were meant to fight the Shattered Eye and his people for years." my mother explained. She began to tear up a bit. "I'm not a Golden Candle.. but you.. you are.." my mother finished. She pulled me towards her and hugged me. "Your father suspected you would be a Golden Candle.. and he was right.. he saw a light in you before he passed away, because you're one of them.." my mother continued. She let me go and I looked deeply into her eyes. "You're not a Golden Candle?" I asked. My mother began to cry. "No, son, I'm a Shattered Eye.

I stood up quickly. "What?! Then why were you and dad together!?" I exclaimed. My heart was beating fast. "Because Harry..! I am not one of them! I never will be!" she yelled. She stood up slowly and continued to cry. I took a few steps back. "Mother.. you're.. you're one of them!!" I yelled. She wiped her tears and looked at me with a confident face. "Harry, listen to me.. Your father went against the Shattered Eye.. and the Shattered Eye is my brother.." my mother continued. I looked at her, surprised. This was all a terrifying surprise. "I knew I wasn't one of them, so I became great friends with your father, and eventually it led to this! By blood, I am a Shattered Eye, but my life will never follow their legacy. I betrayed the Shattered Eyes to start my own family, and I did. I will never support my true family.." she ended. My mother had went against her own family to marry my father, who was a Golden Candle. I still wanted my question to be answered, though, so I took a deep breath, looked at my mother, and asked,"What power do Golden Candles carry?"