Chapter 6: A Single Moment of Sincerity

James's POV

"Ben she isn't pregnant!" I added.

"That's not what the test said!" Ben yelled back at me.

"Well it's not mine," I said.

"And what if it is?" Ben asked.

"It's not!" I screamed.

"Damn it James. You got my sister pregnant!" Sam yelled.

"No I didn't!" I added.

"You were the only one she has screwed  in the past two months," Sam added.

"It can't be mine. No no no. I can't be a dad I'm not ready," I said.

"Well it's time you grow the fuck up and go talk to the mother of your child," Cameron said.  I nodded my head and walked into the bunk room.

"Cassidy?" I asked quietly.

"Huh?" Cassidy said while rubbing her eyes. 

"Were you asleep?" I asked.

"No. Well yes. But it's okay," she said.

"So is it true?" I asked trying not to cry. Cassidy nodded and looked up at me with red puffy eyes.

"What are we going to do?" I asked.

"You don't have to be part if the baby's life. I'll leave and won't come back. I promise. I'll pack up my stuff and go home," She said.

"No no no sweet heart. You and I will raise the baby. We will be a family," I said while cupping her face.

"James. I know you don't want it," she said.

"I may not be ready now. But I will be then," I added.

"Am I seeing the soft side of James Cassells?" She asked.

"Yes. But you won't look at another man understand? This baby makes you mine. And don't carry too many boxes at once," I said and she smiled. I leaned in to kiss her, but she looked away causing me to kiss her cheek.

"Not to fast James. Please," she said quietly.