Chapter 37

---Miranda

I was dusting the book shelves in the library and started shelving the books.  I looked out the window and saw Trent getting out of a dark red pick-up.  I finished up and left for the day.  I walked out of the school.  "Hey baby."  Trent said.

"Hey, what's this?"

"Your birthday present."  he said.

"You bought me a truck?"

"Yes.  The one you wanted too."

"Can I drive?"

"Yikes."  he said.  I hit his arm making him laugh.  He gave me a kiss and handed me the keys.  He helped me into the truck.

"I need a step ladder to get up here."  I said.

"Blah, blah, blah.  Shorty."  he gave me a soft kiss and closed the door.  He walked around and got into the passenger side.  He shut the door and I started up the truck.

"Trent?"

"Yeah baby girl?"

"Spring break's coming up."

"And?"

"Can we go camping?"

"Sounds like a great idea.  You and me.  Me in a tent and you on the ground."  I hit his arm again.  He laughed.

"Very funny."  I said.

"Where would we go camping at?"

"I don't know."

"That's helpful."

"Pack vacation is also this weekend."  he said as I turned onto the road for home.

"If we go camping with everyone else, we are taking the RV and you are sleeping outside while I sleep inside."

"Right."  he said rolling his eyes.  I parked in the garage and he got out.  He helped me out of the truck.  "You know what I really think we should do if we go this weekend?"

"What baby?"

"Get you an air mattress so we can put you out on the lake while you're asleep."

"Funny."  he said caressing the back of my neck and kissing me softly.  His cell phone buzzed.  He answered it.  "Hello?"  he said.  "I'll be right there."  he said and hung up.

"There's a fire Maple Street.  Duty calls."

"Be careful."  I said.

"Always."  he gave me a lingering kiss.  "Keep those lips warm.  I won't be long."  he said letting me go.  He got into his truck and drove off giving me a wave before continuing down the road.

Two hours passed and Trent wasn't back.  My mom and dad were here waiting with me.  I was pacing in the living room.  Two firemen were severely injured and one was missing and two dead.

It was 10:30 when the door opened.  Trent walked in and I bolted into his arms.  He hugged me tight.  "Told you I wouldn't be long."

"Yeah 6 hours ago."  he gave me a long kiss.

"We'll be heading home now."  my mom said.  "Goodnight you two."

"Goodnight."  I said.

"Goodnight."  Trent said.