Chapter 38

===Jumping ahead

---Trent

I was sitting at my desk looking at Mindy's pictures of her first two trimesters of her pregnancy.  She was in her last trimester and the farthest we've ever got with a pregnancy.  We were getting more pictures done this weekend.  I grabbed my phone and sent her a text:  "Make sure you eat."

"Eating right now."

"Good.  I miss you."

"I miss you too?  I'll see you in a couple of hours."

"I'm always going to miss you when you aren't with me."

"Awe."

"I love you Mindy.  More than anything in the entire world."

"I love you too Trent, very much."  I looked up when the door to my office opened.  Lyla walked in.

"Your 2 o'clock is here."  she said leaning on my desk.  

"Thank you."  I said.  Henry hired her out of pity.

"You look stressed."  she said.

"I'm fine."  I said.  She went to touch me and I stood up.  "You can go now."

"When's your wife due?"

"Christmas Eve."

"That's so fascinating."  she said touching my arm.  She approached me and I walked toward the door.  "Come on, she's not going to know."

"She will and I don't want you.  I don't want anything to do with you."

"I know you do."

"I don't.  I don't care about you."  she forced herself on me.  I shoved her onto the floor wiping the blood from my lip.

At home, I was sitting on the couch reading a proposal from another company.  Mindy walked in and threw something at me.  I looked up.  "What was that for?"

"Why was Lyla in your office for 20 minutes?"

"I didn't do anything Mindy."

"Right.  Prove it."

"How?"

"That's what I'd like to know.  You have lipstick on your face."

"Mindy, I didn't do anything with her."

"Right."  she pushed a button on the answering machine.

"Your two o'clock's here."

"I don't care."

"When is she due?"

"I don't care."

"Come on, she won't know."

"She will."

"That's fascinating."  the sound of her falling on the floor.

"You can go now."

"Come on, you know you want me.  You don't want her."

"I don't."

"Mindy that's not what happened."

"Then what did happen?  Sounds to me like you wanted her."

"Mindy, she came on to me at the office.  I told her no and that I didn't want her.  She said I did and I said I didn't care about her.  Mindy, I love you."

"Is it because I'm pregnant?"

"Mindy!"

"I'm sorry it's uncomfortable.  I thought you understood."

"MINDY!"  she left.

---Henry

Mike and I were making out on the couch instead of watching the movie.  A knock on the door made me jump.  Mike laughed and went to get it.  "Who is it?"

"Mindy."  he let her in.

"Hey girly.  I was about to get my man candy when you showed up."  I saw her tear stained face.  "Oh, hell no.  What happened?"

"Trent's cheating on me."  she said.  I looked at Mike he took her coat.  Mindy sat beside me.

"How do you know and with who?"

"Lyla.  There was a message on the answering machine.  He doesn't care about me or my baby."

"I'm going to go talk to Trent okay?  Baby, make her comfortable.  She needs to relax for the baby."  Mike said.  Henry nodded.  Mike grabbed his coat and left.

---Miranda

Around 10:30, I returned home.  Trent was sitting on the couch with his head in his hands.  He looked up when I came in.  "I'm not cheating on you."  he said.

"Okay."

"Okay?"

"Yeah.  Even if you are I can't stop you."  I said.  He stood up and walked over to me.

"Even if I am?  How could you even think that I want another woman?  Miranda, I have only ever been with you.  You are all I want.  I love you.  Don't you see?"

"I'm fat and always in some mood."

"You aren't fat.  You're pregnant and my wife.  I love you and I love your mood swings and I love our baby."

"But why was she in your office?"  I asked as he caressed the back of my neck with his hands.

"First of all, she's fired and she edited that tape and conversation because she's jealous and I have no interest in her.  I love you Mindy.  I will never, ever hurt you."  he kissed me softly.  I parted my lips with his.  He pulled away and leaned his forehead against mine.

By my 8th month, Trent was on a business trip and wouldn't be back for a couple of days.  I was driving home from work when my water broke.  I breathed through the pain and pulled over.  I called for help and then called Trent.  "Hello?"  he said.

"Trent."

"Mindy, are you alright?"

"I'm in labor.  I called for an ambulance.  Can you...?"

"I'll be there as soon as I can.  I love you."

"I love you too."

I had Hunter Bryce James on the side of the road with the help of the EMTs.  I was taken by ambulance to the hospital.  Trent looked up when I was wheeled in on the stretcher.  "Mindy..."  he jumped up.

"There's your daddy."  Hunter had just learned to open his eyes.  Trent walked over and saw his son.

"How's he doing?"

"He's perfect."  I said.

"We have to get her in to see Dr. Clark.  You'll be able to see her soon."

"All right.  You did great baby.  I'll see you soon."