Chapter 44

---Mindy

A year after the brutal beating I endured, I was working late one night, Trent kept messaging my phone.  "Mindy, I want your butt."  he sent.  I shook my head laughing.

"What's funny?"  Janice asked.

"Nothing."  I said grabbing a clipboard with a new patient chart.  I went out to the waiting room and got one of the patients.  I checked vitals and took note of what problem they were experiencing.  I placed the chart in the file for Dr. Cline.

I finished my shift and drove home.  "BOOTY!"  Trent sent just as I got out of my truck.  I rolled my eyes and went inside.  Trent was already up in bed.  I went upstairs and walked into our room.

"Immature much."  I teased.

"Ha ha." he said.  "How was work?"  he asked as I untied my shoes.

"Busy."

"When do you get a day off?"

"It's the end of the month.  So three day weekend starting Friday."

"Good."  he said.  I kicked off my shoes and he grabbed me around the waist pulling me to him.  He flipped me onto the bed.  I laughed.  "Hunter's almost 3.  Daddy want another baby."  he said.

"You've been slacking and your timing is getting worse."

"How's my timing now?"  he asked.

"One way to find out."  I said.  I accepted his kisses.  He tugged off my scrub pants and started to push my scrub top up when the phone rang.  He answered it.

"Hello?"  he said.  "Yeah, sure.  I'll be in in the morning."  he said.  "I gotta go."  he hung up.

A short time later, Trent was laying on me catching his breath, his forehead resting against mine.  He sat up and grabbed his long sleeve button shirt and gave it to me.  He grabbed his sweats and stood up.  He pulled his sweats on.  "Need a water?"

"Yes please."  he leaned in and gave me a kiss.

"Be back."  he went down to get a water.  I slid on the shirt.  Trent returned and handed me the water.  He lifted me up and carried me to the bathroom.

I woke up comfortably laying across Trent's chest.  I lifted my head to look at him.  "You have to go to work."  I said.

"Yes I do.  When do you have to go?"

"4 til midnight."

"I'll be here before that.  We can have an early dinner."

"Okay."  I gave him a kiss and got up.  I was wearing the pajamas he bought for me for my birthday.

"Hey the boss doesn't have to leave yet."

"Yeah, but Hunter is going to be up in a few minutes at he's going to be hungry."

"I'll have you all to myself this weekend.  You and I are going on a 3 day vacation."  I gave him a kiss.

That afternoon, I was making lasagna for the early dinner Trent wanted.  It would be done by 2:30 and Trent gets home by 3.  An hour to eat dinner with my hubby was much better than no time at all.  Trent arrived at 3:30.  I was already done eating and ready for work.  I grabbed my keys and went to leave.  Trent caught my hand.  "I'm sorry I was late."

"I got called in early.  I have to go."  I said.

"Mindy, I really am sorry."

"I know.  It just would have been nice if you had called."  I walked out.

After work, I got home and saw about 10 cars in front of our house.  I fell on the ice in the parking lot and could hardly walk.  My knee was swollen and sore.  I made it from the garage to the house.  Trent was arguing with his father.  His siblings were all here.  "Hunter is sleeping, take your argument outside."  I said limping through the kitchen.

"Mindy, this is my house."

"This has been our house for 3 years.  If you don't like it get out."  I said, Trent told his father to leave and got to my side.

"Are you alright?"

"No."

Some of his siblings stayed, others left, and his dad took off clearly pissed.  I was in taking a bath.  Trent came in and leaned against the sink.  "So, you still mad at me?"

"I was never mad, Trent.  If I said I'd be home in time for a meal and wasn't there you'd be screaming at me.  It would have been nice to have been called.  You'd say the same thing."

"You're right.  I'm sorry.  It will never happen again."  he said.  "So how bad is it?"  he asked.

"I had Kelly look at it.  She said it's just a bad bruise.  Need to rest, ice, and elevate."  I said.

"If it doesn't get better within a week or worse in a few days I'm taking you back."  he said.

"So, does this mean you'll stay home with your wifey?"  I asked giving him my best pouty face.  He grinned and got to his knees by the tub.

"What's in it for me?"  he asked brushing his fingertips along the back of my neck.

"Just the joy of having my company."  I said with a smirk.  He leaned in and gave me a soft kiss.  He gave me another one not pulling away right away.  I ended the kiss leaning my forehead against his.  "I'm going to go check on Hunter.  I'll be back in a little bit to help you out of the tub."

"Okay."  he gave me another kiss and stood up.

Trent returned and helped me out of the tub wrapping me in a large towel.  He saw my knee and grabbed my robe off the hook by the door.  "Let's get you off of that knee."  I put my robe on and Trent carefully scooped me up.  He carried me to our room and set me on the bed.  I put on my pajamas and Trent helped me sit back on the bed.  He put a pillow under my knee and he climbed into bed beside me.

"So, no weekend getaway huh?"  I asked as he slid his arm under my pillow.  He used the fingers on his other hand to brush over the palm of my left hand.

"Probably not."  he said.  "We can still do stuff here."

"Yeah until you have to work."

"If I need to I can work from home."  he said.  He tilted my head back so he could look at me.  He kissed me softly.

"That's not one of the rules."

"Oh rules?  There's also one pertaining to having sex while one is injured, but I still want to do it."  I laughed and he climbed on top of me between my legs.  He was very careful of my bad knee.

Morning came, I was asleep beside Trent, the back of my hand resting against his chest, his hand holding mine against his chest.  I woke up with a start when Lucky came running in and he jumped on the bed.  Trent woke up and got Lucky down.  "I swear he was in his kennel for the night."  Hunter came in holding his toddler cup.

"Mommy, juice."

"Daddy will get it."  Trent said, he got up and grabbed my old set of crutches.  I breathed through the pain. 

I went into the kitchen in sweats and a tank top.  Trent was getting Hunter his juice.  "Sorry, he wanted outside.  I let him out and didn't think about letting him back in his kennel."  Trent's sister-in-law Lucy said leaning against the counter beside Trent.

"Right."  I sat down at the table.