Chapter 40

---Trent

I was filling out some paperwork and talking to one of my clients on the office phone when my cell phone buzzed.  I pushed the message button and opened the message from Mindy.  "Hunter had a major wipe out, taking him to ER.  Keep you posted.  Love you."

"K.  Love you."

"Trent?"

"Sorry, my son is hurt.  Wife's taking him to the ER."

"Oh, I hope he's alright."

"Same here."

I left for the hospital about 20 minutes later.  I saw Mike's squad car here and went inside.  Mindy was getting arrested.  "Whoa, what's going on here?"  I asked.

"I didn't do it.  I didn't hurt my baby."  Mindy said sobbing.

"Mike, what is this?"

"The hospital called and reported child abuse."

"I didn't do it."  Mindy sobbed.  Hunter was in a full on cry fest reaching for his mommy.

"Where is the proof Mike?"

"The hospital doesn't have any.  I have to take her."

"I'll get this figured out Mindy, okay?"

"Okay."  she went with Mike.

My wolf picked up a scent when Hunter's clothes were brought in.  Kyle...  I left Hunter there with his grandpa and went to the police station.  "Mindy, what happened?"

"Jack got stuck under the deck.  I went to get him out and then Hunter started crying.  I didn't hurt him I swear."

"I know.  Are you hurt?"

"No."

"The hospital clearly found that you aren't at fault.  I know exactly who did it."  Mindy was let out of the cell.  She hugged me pressing her face into my neck.

After dropping Mindy off at the hospital, I drove home.  I walked across the yard and over to the other house.  I kicked the door open.  Sarah was back from her trip.  "Where is he?"

"What?"

"Your husband beat my son."

"He's in the kitchen."  I shoved Kyle into the table.  It broke on impact.

---Mindy

"Where's Trent?"

"He didn't say."  I said.

"Mindy, I need to know."

"He didn't say, honest.  He just dropped me off and left."  my mom came in.

"Trent's at the other house on your property.  You have to go now before he kills Kyle."

"Mommy will be right back okay?  I have to go get daddy."  Hunter kept his eyes on the TV.  I kissed his forehead.

I ran into the house with Mike.  Trent about to go full on wolf mode.  I wrapped my arms tight around his waist pressing my face into his chest.  I used all my strength to keep in back.  Mike got Kyle out of the room.  I let go.  He was in full on rage.