15 - That's What You Get

I can't believe he was actually here right now. I felt disgusted with myself. I pulled my blanket over my head to avoid looking at him.

"Is that how you're going to treat me after bringing you back to your home, and treating you? You know you would have cold if it weren't for me."

"How can I look at you when I feel so disgusted with myself?" I mumbled.

Pein let out a long sigh, "Why do you feel that way, Mika?"

The way he said my name pulled strongly at my heart. It's as if there are stings hanging from the edges of my heart that are connected to Pein's fingers... I'm helpless.

"I-I let Sasuke do those awful things to me... This isn't the first time it's happened, and it's not the first time you saved me. I can't trust Sasuke anymore. It's hard to lose a best friend, someone who's been with you from the beginning," I whispered.

"Try losing a lover..." Pein trailed off.

I was going to say something, but a sporadic episodes of coughs interrupted what I was going to say. The blankets were pulled back quickly and now Pein was sitting on my bed. I looked up at him as he reached his hand towards my face. I closed my eyes and Pein placed the back of his hand on my forehead.

"You're burning up," he said seriously. Pein jumped from my bed and went immediately to my bathroom. He returned seconds later with a towel and bucket. He placed the bucket on the floor before removing my bangs and replacing the towel on my head. It was cold, probably to help bring down my fever. Also another towel was placed over my eyes.

"So no one wonders why your eyes are all puffy."

I lifted the towel from my eyes so I could look at Pein. He turned his body away from me and was staring out at the window.

"Is it really raining?" I asked him as the smell leaked into the house.

"The rain falls because the sky can no longer handle its weight. Just like how your tears fall because your heart can no longer take the pain."

"...Pein..." I felt my eyes burn again with more tears, but I didn't want to let them fall.

"I've seen you cry too many times, Mika," he walked to my bedside and placed the towel back over my eyes.

"I don't want to see you spill tears over worthless lives ever again, that incudes mine. I wanted a life for you where you could be happy, but I failed. Please, let me be able to have the chance again. I swear by my heart that I will not lie to you or ever hurt you again. I made a mistake in not trusting you, and I will never do that again. I swear," He pleaded.

I wanted to cry again, I wanted to be mad at Pein, but my heart forgave him all too easily. All he wanted was to protect me, even if that meant lying and betraying me... He wanted me safe, within arm's reach, so if anything happened he could be there for me. I see the dangers of this world we live in, and Pein understood that long before I did.

"I'm... S-s-s-sorry!" I whined.

Pein sighed, "I told you not to cry anymore."

I felt the bed sink as Pein sat on it. A hand was placed softly on my cheek. I wanted to say something, but I couldn't the words weren't forming. I... I can't. Suddenly a soft pair of lips caressed mine. Whatever was on my mind instantly dispersed. I hadn't felt Pein's lips in such a long time. It was totally different. It was a pleading kiss, and I could feel it in every movement he mad. Every time Sasuke kissed me, there was no emotion... It's always been that way and I never saw that... Sasuke never cared for me like Pein did. I wrapped my arms around Pein's neck. I don't want to let go! I never want to let go! I kissed back passionately, pouring my current emotions into our feverous lip lock. Pein, I'm so sorry.