38 - Lean On

Pein's P.O.V.

Sliding my shirt over my head I stared at the mirror in front of me. Whenever I stared at Yahiko's body it always reminded me of the memorable times we shared. I wish he was still here. He would tell me to stop crying or sulking around because that wouldn't help anything. I sighed, as I put on my ninja shoes and opened the door. Before I stepped outside, I was halted by the light rain that was coming down. I stepped back inside and grabbed an umbrella. Heading back outside I walked to the village flower shop. On my way there I stared at the sky as the droplets fell... Mika are you crying again? You're such a baby. A grin graced my lips as I thought of the long blue hair that used to dance around the hideout, those angry gray eyes when she didn't get her way. I just want to hold her again, tell her how much I love her, not as Pein... But as Nagato. As her lover, not as a corpse that I've been fooling everyone in this village with. I walked into the flower shop and there was girl with long blonde hair and green eyes behind the counter.

"Hello!" She greeted.

"Hi... I just need-"

"One bouquet of Verbena and another of Blue Orchid?" She cut me off with a knowing grin.

I scratched my head. "Um yes please."

Maybe I came here too often?

The girl headed towards the back and shortly returned with the two bouquets. I paid for them and started my way back to the hospital. I checked in and the nurse behind the counter smiled at me.

"I suspect you already know the way, Mr. Pein?"

I missed and headed down the hallways to the third floor. I stopped at door and knocked before I entered.

"Come in," the voice from the other side invited.

I walked in and gave a small smile to the purple haired girl. Setting the flowers in the vase next to her bed, I noticed the amount of paper cranes had increased since my last visit.

"How many are you at now?" I asked as I sat next to her bed.

"2,887."

"I thought it was only a thousand paper cranes that you needed to make?"

"I figured that if I made three times more, the chances of her waking up would be three times more."

I looked down at the blue orchids in my hands, "I wonder if that would really work."

"Right now all we need to do is hope and believe in her. She's been fighting all her life. I haven't seen her face a challenge she couldn't get pass."

"You're right... Konan I need your opinion on something."

Konan put down the paper crane she was folding and looked up at me, "What is it?"

"I'm thinking of taking her go see me. That is when she wakes up of course."

"She does deserve to know, but do you think she can handle seeing you like that?"

"Who knows maybe she'll run away, or she'll stay, but running around as the Tendo Pein... I feel like I'm giving her this false sense of hope. That this is the only thing she'll accept. When I'm so close."

"Then what are you going to do about your body? You're too weak to be pulled away from the machine, and who knows if that will kill you."

"Even so-"

A knock on the door interrupted our conversation.

"Come in." Konan said.

"Ah, Ms. Konan I see you're awake. That's good! The doctor said that you can be discharged today, but he does require that you take these daily food pills in order to regain your energy back," the nurse informed as she walked in and handed Konan the food pills.